× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 Create a mesh with the same SSID with 2 EX8000

tz10uk
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 Create a mesh with the same SSID with 2 EX8000

Hi 

I have a R9000 (5D82855V003DB) router running off a Virgin Media router set as a modem, this router has a SSID as wifi is a real issue in my house and power lines dont work, I purchase 2 EX8000 that now have separate SSID I wanted to set the mesh up so that they all have the same SSID but when I set them up the network drops and I loose all WIFI connectivity 

Any ideas on configuration for the router and extenders to prevent WIFI drop outs but have the same SSID throughout the house - the multiple SSID seems to work but means I need to change each time I leave a strong signal 

I have tried using the setting on the devices but had to factory reset and have a different SSID

Thanks 

T

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 Create a mesh with the same SSID with 2 EX8000

@tz10uk wrote:

do you recomend a channel for the 2 GHz I have multiple other routers so clashing

There are some apps out there that can look for interference, and help you select a reasonable channel.

But you could just set it to use the channel it's selected now.

You might also try setting the 5 Ghz channel to the highest channel number on the list, and see if that is more stable.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is it stable with only one EX8000?  

Message 2 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your reply 

No it drops out just very odd 

T

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is running in the EX8000s?

Are the R9000 radios set to "auto"?  If so, perhaps try setting them to fixed channels.

Message 4 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

Thanks for your reply the software is the latest  as it did an update when I set it up (but ill login and see what it is) 2Ghz is set to auto but the 5Ghz is set to 44 

do you recomend a channel for the 2 GHz I have multiple other routers so clashing can be an issue to 

Thanks 

T

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@tz10uk wrote:

do you recomend a channel for the 2 GHz I have multiple other routers so clashing

There are some apps out there that can look for interference, and help you select a reasonable channel.

But you could just set it to use the channel it's selected now.

You might also try setting the 5 Ghz channel to the highest channel number on the list, and see if that is more stable.

Message 6 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

Thanks again for your reply just to cover off part of your earlier rply Firmware version on the EX8000 is 1.0.1.186 

So just to reply your suggestion and ensure that I have understood Fix both Channels to the current setting on the Nighthawk X10  R9000 router try the 5GHz on a higher channel than the current channel 

Then set the SSID names on the EX8000 to the same SSID as the EX10 router 

Thanks 

T

Message 7 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

I have now fixed the channel fo 2 GHz and 5GHz on the router - I have used the smart set up on the EX8000 and they have now meshed - to this point (within 1 hours usage) I have not dropped as of yet, however my download speed has reduded from 220 to 60 is this due to the mesh settinging down or ?? 

Thanks again for your support and guidance 

T

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@tz10uk wrote:

my download speed has reduded from 220 to 60 is this due to the mesh settinging down or ?? 

Is the link between the EX8000 and the X10 using the 5 Ghz channel, or is it using 2.4 ghz?

It's possible that the EX8000 is too far away from the X10 to get a stable 5 ghz connection to it.

Message 9 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

Thanks again for the reply 

It seems to have settled down for now and back to 200 odd so im good 

I will see how it now goes over the next few days 

Thank you again fo your support and advice some times cant see the wood for the trees so to speak 

Thank you again 

T

Message 10 of 17
flyturbo
Apprentice

I have the same problem and constant client wifi issues where I have to reboot extender every 1 hours or so. The latest firmware V1.0.1.186 doesn't solve any of these issues.

Message 11 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

So a few days in on the fixed channel I am still haveing drop outs 😞 to add in to the mix I have Sky Q using WIFI and a Sonus system, having now tried to set up 1 EX8000 with a different SSID and run the Sky wireless through that ( I know that it still sits on the router SSID) I have changed the channel selection to AUTO again on 2 GHz running through devices connected it seems that the Sky Hubs and Sky Q box and Sonus speekers share the same IP address ????? 

Any thoughts 

Thanks for taking the time to read this 

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@tz10uk wrote:

it seems that the Sky Hubs and Sky Q box and Sonus speakers share the same IP address ????? 

IP address conflicts will of course interfere with connectivity, and that will have similar symptoms to a wifi connection drop.

Are these devices assigned static IP addresses?  I think the Sky products are routers - are they configured as routers, or are they running in some other mode (as APs)?  If they are routing, that could be the root cause of your issues.

Message 13 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

Thanks for your reply 

The IP address are diynamic as per Virgin Modem and set in the Nighthawk so I would have assumed that it would not assigne a duplicate IP address 

From what I can tell that are not running as routers I have A Sky Q Box 3 mini hubs and a Sky extender booster 

I have to say that the drop outs is going my head in now and considering cutting my losses and buying a new router even though this is only less than a month old 

T

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

You might try temporarily shutting down the two sky boxes, and see if stability improves.  They might be getting in the way.

Normally DHCP servers won't assign duplicate addresses, but there are some scenarios where that can still happen.  When an address is assigned, it has an expiration date (a lease period).  The client will renew it the lease when it reconnects to the network.  But when the client connects through another device, it won't know to do that.  So if the router were rebooted, it wouldn't realize it was giving out a duplicate address (and the client wouldn't realize it needed to ask for a new one unless it's ethernet or wifi connection dropped).

Message 15 of 17
tz10uk
Aspirant

Hi 

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I have since made some other setting changes that have settled it down, I have selleceted all of the below I also added a FING to my network to try and underatand the intermitend drop outs - it seems that my Router and Extenders gatways keep changing for some reason - have not got my head around that yet so I am opne to any suggestions and guidance 

Thanks again T

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable HT160
Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

I suspect the settings changes didn't settle things down directly - sometimes it just takes a little while for a mesh to stabilize.

@tz10uk wrote:

it seems that my Router and Extenders gatways keep changing for some reason 

Can you tell us what the various gateway addresses are?

@tz10uk wrote:
The IP address are dynamic as per Virgin Modem and set in the Nighthawk so I would have assumed that it would not assigne a duplicate IP address 

You said this earlier.  I find this a bit confusing, since if the Virgin gateway is configured as a modem it shouldn't have DHCP enabled.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7