× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Extender Model EX7300 has not created 2 new extender WiFi networks.

WROC
Tutor

Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Extender Model EX7300 has not created 2 new extender WiFi networks.

Help Please,

I've just purchased the above and have set up the extender using WPS no problems. Have solid green lights for Router and Client Link also green lights for power and WPS.

My understanding is that the extender creates 2 new extender WiFi networks using the existing network name with _2GEXT and _5GEXT added. These don't appear in my list of networks.

I've tried to use the mywifiext page but get the error message can't connect to the server. I've turned the router off and on but it made no difference. I'm using Mac desktop version 10.13.6 Safari 13.1.2

Help will be appreciated.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Extender Model EX7300 has not created 2 new extender WiFi networks.

They'd actually need 2 guides because mesh wasn't added until version 1.0.2.136 with the ex7300. so it was technically correct for older versions of the firmware. 🙂

so you're are correct that the guide doesn't help and can cause confusion if you're on the newer firmware. 

@Christian_R 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Extender Model EX7300 has not created 2 new extender WiFi networks.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 12
WROC
Tutor

Sorry about that - I'm a new community member.

Message 3 of 12

No problem. I didn't want you to waste time wading through mountains of irrelevant junk.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

the EX7300 is a mesh extender. And if you set it up using WPS it by default sets it up with mesh. Meaning it uses the same ssid as the router. So you won't see seperate ssid's unless you disable its mesh/onessid function. 

I myself prefer them as mesh as devices roam automatically. But not all area's does mesh work well for. 

Message 5 of 12
WROC
Tutor

Thanks Plemans for the information.

You helped me recently with my old EX6200v2 extender which has now departed this world and the EX7300 is the replacement.

With the old extender in my list of WiFi networks I had my existing network name with _2EXT and _5EXT and would just select one of these when in a particular part of the house.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, ( excuse the Aussie slang ) so with the mesh function these extensions will not appear and I will be able to use my existing network throughout the house.

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

using a standard scan (windows wifi scanner) it won't show. If you use something line inssider or acrylic wifi scanner, it does a more through job and they do show. 

But for all intents/purposes, it'll show as a single network that your devices should roam between as needed. 

You can always log into the extender either through the browser or using the app to see if its setup using onewifi

(its called onewifi not onessid as I'd said previous). 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

Message 7 of 12
WROC
Tutor

How dumb am I - all I had to do was plug in the extender where I wanted it and it worked perfectly as an extender.

I wasted all that time looking for the _2EXT no need too !!!

Sorry for wasting your time.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its not wasted! 

glad its functioning properly though 🙂

Message 9 of 12
WROC
Tutor

Plemans can I just add one comment which may help others,

In the Quick Start Booklet that comes in the box - under the heading - Connect With WPS - point 8  ........"the extender creates two new extender WiFi networks. The extender's new WiFi names are based on your existing WiFi network name with _2EXT and_5EXT at the end of name."

This is where I came unstuck perhaps NetGear could reword this to indicate this is not necessarily the case.

Thank you Plemans.

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

They'd actually need 2 guides because mesh wasn't added until version 1.0.2.136 with the ex7300. so it was technically correct for older versions of the firmware. 🙂

so you're are correct that the guide doesn't help and can cause confusion if you're on the newer firmware. 

@Christian_R 

Message 11 of 12

@plemans wrote:

When I saw the first message I thought "Mesh, that means a single SSID".

So I looked at the original (April 2016) manual for the EX7300. Sure enough _5EXT is in there. Then I went and checked the revised (July 2018) manual, for the Mesh version. That also says that defaults settings have two independent SSIDs. So the rewrite was only partial.

It is a good thing that you were able to unravel Netgear's hopeless documentation.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7