× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Range Extender intermittent drops in connection with Cox broadband.

jbond011LV
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Range Extender intermittent drops in connection with Cox broadband.

I have the latest firmware on Modem/Router/Extender (CM700, X6 R8000, X6S EX8000 Tri Band Extender) and I still have intermittent drops in connection.  I play Xbox One X and almost every evening i receive a "Lost connection to Xbox Live" message and I am unable to connect unless I reboot modem/router/extender.  I get around 300mb dl / 30mb up from Cox when everything is working fine but the drops in connection are very frustrating.  I had Cox come out last week as they were seeing some signal issues in their lines.  They replaced some connections and removed a signal reducer (sorry for the non tech term) that they believed was causing the issue.  Internet worked "OK" for a few days and it's now acting up again.  I tried to install old firmware for both my router and extender but that didn't help.  I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers/tech but when it comes to home networking I feel totally lost when trying to troubleshoot the issue.  Is there a simple way to determine what is causing the loss in connection?  Any apps, programs etc that I can download to monitor my connection with?  I've read about ping plotter and other programs but don't know how to use those.  Any and all help is appreciated!  Thank you!

Josh

Las Vegas

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
jbond011LV
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Range Extender intermittent drops in connection with Cox broadband.

I forgot to mention that my Xbox is hardwired into the extender and that when the signal drops I lose connection on my cell phone, desktop and Nest camera as well.  It's not just an Xbox Live issue... Thank you!

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@jbond011LV wrote:

I forgot to mention that my Xbox is hardwired into the extender and that when the signal drops I lose connection on my cell phone, desktop and Nest camera as well.  It's not just an Xbox Live issue... Thank you!

Are all these devices connected through the extender? 

When it fails, can you connect your cell phone to the router network?

Message 3 of 5
RHL
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having intermittent connectivity problems between my Netgear R7900 and EX8000.  Cox broadband.  Have to reboot extender about every 24 hours.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RHL, 

Have you tried moving the extender closer? When the issue occurs are you able to connected to the R7900? 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7