× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X8 R8500

donmetz
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500

What is recommended extender for my Nighthawk X8 R8500?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500

Yes, you can use a mesh extender with your device. They work well if you only need 1 of them. If you're needing more than 1 extender, its better to just go with a full mesh system like orbi. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'd recommend one of the triband extenders. 

Reason why is most extenders cut throughput in half. the reason they do this is they have to recieve and rebroadcast using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. So throughput is cut 50% of what they're getting at the location they're placed. 

the tribands reserve 1 of the 5ghz radios just for router-----extender communication. It makes them much better performing. 

Message 2 of 4
donmetz
Aspirant

Thanks for the quic reply, and good advice on the tri-band. Looks like Netgear has only one non-mesh option. Do mesh extenders work with my non-mesh unit?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yes, you can use a mesh extender with your device. They work well if you only need 1 of them. If you're needing more than 1 extender, its better to just go with a full mesh system like orbi. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7