× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 and Mesh Help

EamusCatuli
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR1000 and Mesh Help

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming 6-Stream WiFi 6 Router (XR1000) - AX5400 in my current home of 1500 sq ft and works fine.  It's all wood and drywall and compact so I still get decent speeds in wifi all the way on the 2nd floor as the router is in the basement.  We are moving into a house over 2x the size, about 4000sq ft and much more spread out.  

I am looking for a mesh network that I can use with the router.  My questions are:

Do I still have to connect the "router" that comes with the mesh network to the modem or can I use it as a satellite off my Nighthawk?

No brick, how many satellites would I need to cover 4k sq ft? 

Would it be better to just use extenders?

Is the NIghthawk Mesh network compariable to the Orbi network?

Thank you for any help!!!!!

EC

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

you can use mesh extenders but I usually advise people to avoid them and go with a full mesh system if they think they're needing more than 1 extender. 

how many do you need? Depends. Each home is different. the nice thing about mesh system is you can add satellites pretty easily. 

The XR1000 isn't a mesh router. so it doesn't integrate with mesh systems. 

If you're wanting to retain the gaming features of hte xr1000 but have a mesh system, you can always add a mesh system like orbi to it and run the orbi in access point mode. 

then you retain the benefits of the DumaOS while still having the coverage of orbi. 

Message 2 of 3
EamusCatuli
Aspirant

Thank you!!  I appreciate the info!!  Very helpful!!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7