× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app no longer works with my EX7700 X6 wifi extender

David9
Aspirant

Nighthawk app no longer works with my EX7700 X6 wifi extender

Every so often the EX7700 X6 wifi extender just seems to slow down and sometimes I find the Nighthawk App on my iphone no longer works. Recently I factory reset and tried several times to get the app to work again but alas it doesn't. I can get to it via the browser but there is little to see there in way of connected devices and speed testing.

Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on how to get the Nighthawk iPhone app working again?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to disable WiFi Private IP address and IP Address Tracking for the wifi network your connecting too. See if this helps. 

Message 2 of 13
David9
Aspirant

ty but it was working and nothing else has changed on my wifi network.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to? 

did you set it up using wps or the installation assistant? 

Message 4 of 13
David9
Aspirant

ty I did a factory reset and then used the setup by: 1. connecting to the local extender wifi 2. using the browser to configure the unit.
Message 5 of 13
David9
Aspirant

Connected to my ISP router, has it has been for a couple of years now. Every so often I have needed to factory reset or reboot because of slowness but this is the first time the nighthawk app won't re-discover the extender.

Message 6 of 13
reubster
Aspirant

This also has recently started happening to me. The web app config works fine. I'm using the EX6410. It's connected to the router, but has no internet access.  

Message 7 of 13
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @David9 and @reubster,

Thank you f reaching out. We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. May we know when exactly did you notice the issue on your extenders? Also, did you do a firmware update recently? If yes, have you tried using a different firmware version?

https://kb.netgear.com/000061572/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-WiFi-Extender

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 8 of 13
David9
Aspirant

Thank you for following up.

I hadn't used the app in a while. I don't use it all the time but generally did just to check the performance, which you cannot do through the web portal, typically when it appears to be slowing down and requires a reboot. I have not been able to get the app working in some time. 

The firmware version is 

• Hardware Version: EX7700
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.0.226

I understand that this is the latest according to the update page.

Message 9 of 13
reubster
Aspirant

May we know when exactly did you notice the issue on your extenders?

> After changing from my ISP and putting in a new router. I solved the problem with connectivity for myself recently - I found that my router was assigning the extender an ip of 192.168.1.250. When I removed the assignment and set it to use .254 then it's worked fine. 

I still can't get the Nighthawk app to work though. I've deleted it completely and reinstalled.. it still won't find my extender. I get stuck in a loop where it wants me to reset the extender.. so it can join the temporary wifi.

The web app works fine. 

Also, did you do a firmware update recently? If yes, have you tried using a different firmware version?

> I don't know. It's the app not the extender. 

Message 10 of 13
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @David9 and @reubster,

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you

I would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for a callback. Please provide the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (at least 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 11 of 13
David9
Aspirant

Oliver, I'd rather not post my personal details here. Can you provide an email address that I can use?

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

@David9 Send it to @olympos1625 in a private message/direct message. Click on their profile and from there click on "send this user a private message"

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7