× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk as network extender

brettmurphy
Aspirant

Nighthawk as network extender

I want to use my older Nighthawk X6 AC3200 WIFI router as a signal extender on a different network.  The issue I have is that at my remote location, I only have a laptop that does not have an ethernet port.  Laptop is 2 years old, not bottom of the line computer, just no port.

How do I access the Nighthawk to make it an extender?  Do I need to hook that into the exsisting network modem, or is there a way to setup through my laptop wirelessly?

Thank you

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk as network extender

@brettmurphy wrote:

I want to use my older Nighthawk X6 AC3200 WIFI router as a signal extender on a different network.  The issue I have is that at my remote location, I only have a laptop that does not have an ethernet port.  Laptop is 2 years old, not bottom of the line computer, just no port.

How do I access the Nighthawk to make it an extender?  Do I need to hook that into the exsisting network modem, or is there a way to setup through my laptop wirelessly?

Thank you

The R8000 that you put in your signature doesn't have an extender or repeater function that I could find. 

you can set it up in access point mode but that'd mean having it connected to the primary modem/router. 

If you know the wireless info for the router, you can access via the wireless.

If you don't know that and don't have an hardwired connection option, then you'd need to factory reset the router to get it back to defaults. 

Message 2 of 5
brettmurphy
Aspirant

Plemans - thank you.  Do you know if when using it as an access point can it be connected wirelessly?  

I am trying to get signal to the furthest point in structure, by way of using exsiting hardware on site.  At furthest point right now, signal is very poor, and just wanting to boost what I have available.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

No. In access point mode, the router needs to be hardwired into something passing signal to it. you could try connecting via ethernet, powerline, or even a moca adapter from the R8000 back to the main router. 

The R8000 doesn't have repeater or extender mode. That's what you're looking to do.  

Message 4 of 5
brettmurphy
Aspirant

Got it - thank you.

Might try a long ethernet cord from the main modem.  Might get me close enough to receive signal in the dead zone on the outskirts of the premises.

Thank you again.

@plemans wrote:

No. In access point mode, the router needs to be hardwired into something passing signal to it. you could try connecting via ethernet, powerline, or even a moca adapter from the R8000 back to the main router. 

The R8000 doesn't have repeater or extender mode. That's what you're looking to do.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7