× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk eax20 shuts off Wi-Fi to house when connected to ethernet cable

glinda3175
Aspirant

Nighthawk eax20 shuts off Wi-Fi to house when connected to ethernet cable

Newbie here - I’m trying to set up Wi-Fi in a separate building from my house, and have run an Ethernet cable from my router to the building. When I plug the eax20 in, it works OK (the signal goes up and down) and the WiFi in house shuts off. I’m assuming this is a settings issue?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk eax20 shuts off Wi-Fi to house when connected to ethernet cable

Did you setup the EAX20 in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 6
glinda3175
Aspirant

At first I set it up as an extender, and the WiFi in the house shut off. I then set it up as an access point and the WiFi shut off again.when I unplugged the eax20 it came back on.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The extender shouldn't be impacting the router at all when setup in access point mode or messing with the primary routers wifi at all. 

What router is it connected to? 

What method of setup are you using? (the app, installation assistant, wps)?

Message 4 of 6
glinda3175
Aspirant

The router is a Hitron CODA-5712 that was installed by my internet provider. And I used the Nighthawk Smart set up when I chose to use the extender as an access point (I logged into the Net Gear eax20 to do the set up).
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

take it over to the router and connect it with a short 6 ft cable and run through the extender setup. the Extender shouldn't be doing anything to cause the router to shut off its wifi so I'd start with checking to see if the cable is causing some sort of loop the router is stuggling with

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7