× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk mesh extender EX7700 has no internet connection

Colmanlee
Guide

Nighthawk mesh extender EX7700 has no internet connection

I have an existing Orbi system and bought a Nighthawk Mesh Extender EX7700 today, I have been able to connect the extender with the iOS app, but there is no internet connection to the extender and the LED on the left never turns on.

I found in the community that there are connection issues to the mesh extender and I am hoping someone is able to help me thru.  Or do you have the same issue as me?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
GrandOak01
Guide

I have EXACTLY the SAME issue and turning to Tech Support to get this squared away. I will share what I learn here when enlightenment comes!!
Message 2 of 7
Colmanlee
Guide

Really appreciated and look forward to hearing from you!!
Message 3 of 7
GrandOak01
Guide

OK, figured out what problem was and what is the solution! To work, your router canNOT be using SmartConnect!! Extender can be set to use it, but router can't and must be broadcasting over BOTH 2. 4 GHz & 5 GHz bands! This is because it couples it's channels with the router, especially to use One Name extension!!

I later went back and turned router to use Smart Connect, after Extender was connected to router, in which case EX7700 mapped both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands to the 2.4 GHz band of router.
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 7
Colmanlee
Guide

Thanks very much for providing info.

@GrandOak01 wrote:
OK, figured out what problem was and what is the solution! To work, your router canNOT be using SmartConnect!! Extender can be set to use it, but router can't and must be broadcasting over BOTH 2. 4 GHz & 5 GHz bands! This is because it couples it's channels with the router, especially to use One Name extension!!

I later went back and turned router to use Smart Connect, after Extender was connected to router, in which case EX7700 mapped both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands to the 2.4 GHz band of router.

I am using an Orbi Mesh Router but not able to find the place to turn off Smart Connect.

Are you also using an Orbi Mesh system?

Message 5 of 7
GrandOak01
Guide

No, as thread subject and my HW indicators show I am using a Nighthawk X6 Mesh EX7700 (AC2200) extender connecting to Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) router.

OH, and one other tidbit, is NEVER hard connext EX7700 to your network (it uses 5 GHz band), unless of course you are setting it up as an AP instead of an EXT!! Otherwise LAN and WAN get all wrapped around the axle so that internet connectivity is skrogged!
Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 7
Colmanlee
Guide

Yeah so you are using a different router.  I will try again tonight to see what I can do.  I heard someone is stopping the broadcasting of the 5GHz and leave only the 2.4Ghz on for the Orbi Mesh system.  And then forget the Wifi network and join again so In that case the EX7700 will only see 2.4GHz and should work the same way like what you suggested.

And no i am not hard connecting my EX7700 to ny router and I am using it EXT instead of AP.  

thanks again for your time!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7