× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk mesh extender will connect to PC but not to Android or Apple mobile device

Tigger1118
Aspirant

Nighthawk mesh extender will connect to PC but not to Android or Apple mobile device

After much difficulty, I got my Nighthawk setup to my mobile hotspot that I use in my home. Rural area. No cable or internet service. I used a PC to set it up and can connect to the internet but when I try to connect my Android and Apple devices it fails to connect. The devices recognize the Nighthawk.. both 2G and 5G bands but displays “No internet “.

Probably just a setting somewhere but I have no idea what may need to be changed or where to look.

I had been using a Linksys RE6350 to boost the signal throughout my house but it was unreliable. Would work a while then would have to reset it. 

One thing to add; above mentioned mobile devices will connect to and work properly while coneected to the actual mobile hotspot source. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mesh extender will connect to PC but not to Android or Apple mobile device

So just to clarify.

1. Is the computer hard wired into the extender?

2. Is it only android/apple devices that dont' work or all wireless devices?

3. What firmware is on your extender?

4. Does your hotspot have a device limit? Some extenders used to limit to something like 5 ip addresses. 

5. What hot spot is it? 

Message 2 of 5
Tigger1118
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk mesh extender will connect to PC but not to Android or Apple mobile device

The computer is not hardwired to the extender. It connects wirelessly just fine. 

Just the mobile devices. PC works fine. 

Not sure about firmware. Bought it new last week. 

It’s an ATT. Mobile hotspot. Has a limit of 8. With current devices it’s using 7. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If its only mobile devices having the issues, you could try changing the extenders wireless channel. You could also try shutting off the one ssid name/smart connect feature. so here's what I'd try.

1. Log into the extender and make sure your firmware is up to day. if it isn't, do so, and then reset the device back to factory. Always good to do after an update.

2. Try changing wifi channels. 

3. If the issue is still persisting. Try disabling the smart connect feature on the extender. 

Here's the manual and firmware.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7500

Message 4 of 5
Tigger1118
Aspirant

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will try this when I get back home this weekend.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7