× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x6 EX7700 randomly changes IP to wired connection from 192.etc to 169.etc

Mega12
Tutor

Nighthawk x6 EX7700 randomly changes IP to wired connection from 192.etc to 169.etc

Hi,

I have just bought a Nighthawk x6 EX7700 (2 weeks now). I am extending a router signal to my room where I have installed the EX7700. I use both the wireless (for the phone and a laptop) and a wired connection to the EX7700. The wired connection is for my main PC.

My problem is the following: the IP address given to my PC via wired connection changes for no apparent reason from 192.etc to 169.etc. This can happen in any moment in time. It could happen twice within few hours or it can go for a couple of days without any problems.

Needless to say that when the IP changes I lose my internet connection and the only way to have the PC get back the "correct" 192.etc address is to restart the extender. This does not happen on the wireless connected devices. They all keep on working with their 192.etc addresses whilst the PC can't get the correct address.

I also tried to connect via cable the laptop when the main PC gets its "weird" IP and the same happens to the laptop: the IP assigned is 169.etc

Any ideas?

EX7700 is using the latest firmware 1.0.0.226
I have also set a static IP for my PC, initially was dynamic and I had the same problem

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x6 EX7700 randomly changes IP to wired connection from 192.etc to 169.etc

The ex7700 uses the 5ghz as a dedicated backhaul. But if theres an issue with it, it defaults back to the 2.4ghz. Which might be causing it to give you a new ip address. Also, if you're using dfs channels, it  might be defaulting back to the 2.4ghz while the 5ghz switches off the dfs channels. 

That's why I recommend rerunning setup and disabling the "extend 2.4ghz network". Again, you'll still be able to use it, it just won't use it as failover. Just make sure when you've got the extender setup, have the 2.4ghz on a different wireless channel than the router to prevent interference. And make sure you're router isn't using dfs channels. Its supposed to be close to seamless when the router switches off a dfs channel but I've seen it cause slow downs on extenders. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x6 EX7700 randomly changes IP to wired connection from 192.etc to 169.etc

Re-run the setup on the extender. During the setup process using the installation assistant (and not WPS), uncheck the "extend 2.4ghz signal". 

You'll still be able to use the 2.4ghz signal but it won't work as failover for the dedicated 5ghz backhaul link. 

Also, once you've done that, ensure your primary router isn't using a DFS channel for the 5ghz. 

see how those work. 

Message 2 of 6
Mega12
Tutor

Hi,

My problem is on the wired connection though. The wireless connected devices keep their 192.etc IP address. Only my PC that is connected via ethernet cable to the EX7700 gets its IP randomly changed to 169.etc. Do you mean that it's because of the 2.4ghz connection from the EX7700 to the router that this is happening?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The ex7700 uses the 5ghz as a dedicated backhaul. But if theres an issue with it, it defaults back to the 2.4ghz. Which might be causing it to give you a new ip address. Also, if you're using dfs channels, it  might be defaulting back to the 2.4ghz while the 5ghz switches off the dfs channels. 

That's why I recommend rerunning setup and disabling the "extend 2.4ghz network". Again, you'll still be able to use it, it just won't use it as failover. Just make sure when you've got the extender setup, have the 2.4ghz on a different wireless channel than the router to prevent interference. And make sure you're router isn't using dfs channels. Its supposed to be close to seamless when the router switches off a dfs channel but I've seen it cause slow downs on extenders. 

Message 4 of 6
Mega12
Tutor

Understood. Thank you for the clarification. I will do as suggested and let you know!

Message 5 of 6
Mega12
Tutor

An update after some days of testing the proposed solution. I can say that in general it works. No more random IP address assignments to my PC whilst turned on.

But (there always is a "but"), it still happens when I completely turn off my PC (so "shut down" option, not "restart"). When I boot it up again the EX7700 assigns a 169 IP address. Not sure why at this point as the laptop instead did not have this problem when i tested under the same condition: wired connection to the EX7700 and shut it down for a few minutes. 

If I then restart the EX7700 it assigns the correct IP address to the PC and it does not change as long as the PC is not shut down ("restart" is still fine).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7