× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x65 leads to no speed increase. may return tomorrow.

jmobley
Follower

Nighthawk x65 leads to no speed increase. may return tomorrow.

Hello, i just plugged in this nighthawk and connected it to the network and I'm shocked to discover that this product does not lead to any speed increases at all. 

let me explain. I have a Comcast 1gb internet connection and I am using their standard router. When I am close to the router I get 600 mbps. When I am 30 feet away that number drops to 70 mbps. I just assumed that the extender would blast the internet where it was weaker and thus lead to increased speeds. I have the mesh extender in the room where the internet is slower and the speed is exactly the same as before I installed it. Is this normal and if so, what the point of this device? i'm thinking mabye I should just return it and accept that the speeds will be slower in my office.

Any advice?

thanks in advance!

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x65 leads to no speed increase. may return tomorrow.

A little bit of a misunderstanding in how they function. 

Extenders need a good signal to function properly. If you put the extender in the same spot that you only get 30 mbps, its only going to get 30mbps. 

But if you put it midway between the router and where you need signal, then it has a better signal to pickup and rebroadcast. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the EX8000 runs off 5ghz. 5ghz doesn't broadcast through as much material as 2.4ghz but is much much faster. And things in the walls (hvac, foil lined insulation, furniture, metal, etc) can block signal. Sometimes moving laterally could help just as much or more as moving closer. Thats why a little optimizing could make a significant difference. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7