× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No DHCP Server limiting usable applications for WN2500RP

nategschubert
Novice

No DHCP Server limiting usable applications for WN2500RP

The "ideal" solution:
I had hoped to us my WN2500RP to connect all my device to the internet via WiFi tethering on a Verizon 4G LTE phone. The issue I ran into though is, the WN2500RP isn't capable of operating as a DHCP Server and instead forwards all DHCP requests to the phone. Since the phone only supports a max of 8 DHCP clients, I quickly run out of serviceable IP addresses. Here's an basic draw of what I had hoped to achieve. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10837369/WN2500RP.png

The "non-ideal" solution:
Since I was running out of IP addresses that could be assigned by the phone, I have instead had to use the WN2500RP just to establish a wireless connection to the phone. I then connected from one of the switch ports on the WN2500RP to the WAN port of a router(WRT54GC) which is in Gateway Routing Mode and has DHCP Server enabled. This way the router is providing the IP's for the many devices in my local network and the phone is only having to provide one IP to the wirelessly connected WN2500RP and one IP to the router. I have notice though that the through put speeds are a bit reduce. I did enable FastLane with 2.4Ghz to my tethered phone and just disabled the 5Ghz AP. Still I think slower speed this maybe due to the older WRT54GC router I am using.

Finally,
I understand that the WN2500RP was/is initially designed to connect wirelessly to a router with a wired connection to an ISP. But surely someone else must recognize that the demand for a product like WN2500RP, but with a built in DHCP server will likely skyrocket as the rest of Americans start to realize they can get far Faster UL/DL speeds through Verizon4G than with most wired internet providers...and for less money. So my goal here is to either have someone point me to a product similar to the WN2500RP that includes a DHCP Server or, if such a solution does not yet exist, to encourage Netgear to implement this feature in subsequent firmware releases.
Message 1 of 4
sjococo
Aspirant

Re: No DHCP Server limiting usable applications for WN2500RP

Netgear WN2000RPT can function as a DHCP server. It is 2.4 GHz only.
Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

sjococo wrote:
Netgear WN2000RPT can function as a DHCP server. It is 2.4 GHz only.

I couldn't find anything on this providing DHCP.

OP try this link. I've used several of their 3g routers on boat installations with great results

.http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/small-business-home-office-routers/mbr1200b-small-business-mobil...
Message 3 of 4
sbR7000
Aspirant

nategschubert wrote:
The "ideal" solution:
I had hoped to us my WN2500RP to connect all my device to the internet via WiFi tethering on a Verizon 4G LTE phone. The issue I ran into though is, the WN2500RP isn't capable of operating as a DHCP Server and instead forwards all DHCP requests to the phone. Since the phone only supports a max of 8 DHCP clients, I quickly run out of serviceable IP addresses. Here's an basic draw of what I had hoped to achieve. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10837369/WN2500RP.png

The "non-ideal" solution:
Since I was running out of IP addresses that could be assigned by the phone, I have instead had to use the WN2500RP just to establish a wireless connection to the phone. I then connected from one of the switch ports on the WN2500RP to the WAN port of a router(WRT54GC) which is in Gateway Routing Mode and has DHCP Server enabled. This way the router is providing the IP's for the many devices in my local network and the phone is only having to provide one IP to the wirelessly connected WN2500RP and one IP to the router. I have notice though that the through put speeds are a bit reduce. I did enable FastLane with 2.4Ghz to my tethered phone and just disabled the 5Ghz AP. Still I think slower speed this maybe due to the older WRT54GC router I am using.

Finally,
I understand that the WN2500RP was/is initially designed to connect wirelessly to a router with a wired connection to an ISP. But surely someone else must recognize that the demand for a product like WN2500RP, but with a built in DHCP server will likely skyrocket as the rest of Americans start to realize they can get far Faster UL/DL speeds through Verizon4G than with most wired internet providers...and for less money. So my goal here is to either have someone point me to a product similar to the WN2500RP that includes a DHCP Server or, if such a solution does not yet exist, to encourage Netgear to implement this feature in subsequent firmware releases.

This sounds like an similiar to an issue I am having although in a different application.
I have a wired network that does not suport DHCP on the lan (Local Area Network) side
easily. I have just bought an R7000 wireless router and I was hopping to use DHCP in
the R7000 router to send the correct routing information to the wireless devices connected
to the R7000. I am using the R7000 as an access point. It seems I do not have much
control over what the DHCP server puts out. I would like to just the gate way address it
puts out. I am thinking I migh have to get "open source" firmware for the router. You
might need to do the same here is a link to www.dd-wrt.com.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7