× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not enough Range

AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

Not enough Range

Hey, so my Original router is around 18MBPS and on the Extender it says 300MPBS, when I run a test I'm only getting around 11-16mpbs. Also I run tests to see if there's a average and some tend to be 9.5mpbs some are 15.9 and some are like 12.2 etc how do I fix this ? Also all of the LED lights on the extender are a solid green and it's a very strong connection as the status but it doesn't display like that
Message 1 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

Re: Not enough Range

Ain't I supposed to be getting Upto 150-200 MPBS? I don't really Know much stuff about this but please explain why it's very low
Message 2 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Your Internet speed is going to be limited by the slowest link in the chain.  In your case, that would be your router.

Message 3 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

So how do I make my MBPS go high and not be limited ?
Message 4 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Upgrade your router, Internet service or both.

Message 5 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

Ok. But there are some netgear routers out there. Such as things like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HEKKB0I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470367912&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL...

Is that just another type of Extender or just a router ? If it's a router will I have to ring up A broadband company to install A type of broadband to into that router or does it just work like that, I have to set it up to a socket and things I'll do with a normal router and just set it up to my PC and ther devices ? Please explain how this works.
Message 6 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Yes that's a router. Before you buy it, can you answer the following questions?

What's the model of your current router?

What's the contracted speed of your Internet service?
Message 7 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

The Model is TalkTalk
And the speed is 18MBPS

P.S I'm currently in the United Kingdom
Not sure if you've heard of that Model
Message 8 of 16
TheEther
Guru

I'm not all that familiar with TalkTalk. Do you have the Super Router? If you do then it's better than the Netgear router that you picked out.

Does the router plug straight into a phone line? If it does, then it has a built in modem. The Netgear router you picked out does not have a built in modem and would not be a suitable replacement.

If your Internet service is 18 Mbps then you need to call TalkTalk and ask about getting faster Internet service.
Message 9 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

Well yea I do have a phone line but that is quite far. I wouldn't say far but I have to exit my room, go down the stairs which is 5 steps away from my room and then go down 13 steps and the phone line is there. Also isn't that netgear router 300MBPS? And the TalkTalk one is a 38MBPS... So the netgear is way better
Message 10 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

And I don't have the super router I have the standard 18 mbps
Message 11 of 16
TheEther
Guru

@AdzzyMalone wrote:
Well yea I do have a phone line but that is quite far. I wouldn't say far but I have to exit my room, go down the stairs which is 5 steps away from my room and then go down 13 steps and the phone line is there.

Does this phone line plug into your router?  I'm trying to figure out what type of Internet service you have.  I think you have some form of DSL but I don't know if the TalkTalk router has a DSL modem built into it or if you have a separate modem.  It's important to know this.

Also isn't that netgear router 300MBPS? And the TalkTalk one is a 38MBPS... So the netgear is way better

It sounds like you are quoting wireless speeds.  There is no such thing as a 38 Mbps router.  Common wireless speeds are 54 Mbps, 150 Mbps, 300 Mbps and higher.  What is the exact model number of the TalkTalk router?  I will try to look up the specs on line.

The other point I've been trying to get across is that getting a new router with fast wireless is not going to help if your Internet service is 18 Mbps.  Think of the Internet as a garden hose.  Upgrading your wireless network to 300 Mbps is like feeding that garden hose into a fire hose.  You are still going to get only a trickle of water through that fire hose.  You need to upgrade that garden hose by getting faster Internet service.  To do that, you need to call TalkTalk.  Hopefully, there is a faster Internet available to you.

Message 12 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

So I need to upgrade my Router ? And the model number is HG 633 Huawei. It's not fibre it's the standard edition.
Message 13 of 16
TheEther
Guru

@AdzzyMalone wrote:
So I need to upgrade my Router ? And the model number is HG 633 Huawei. It's not fibre it's the standard edition.

The short answer is, no, upgrading your router alone won't help.

The HG633 is a combination DSL modem and router.  It actually support 300 Mbps 802.11n Wi-Fi, so it's a perfect match for your new extender.

The problem is your Internet service.  I looked on TalkTalk's website and I think you have their Simply Broadband package.  This package is limited to 17 Mbps, which is roughly what you are getting.  Upgrading your router isn't going to help.  You need to switch to their Fibre service, where you can get either 38 Mbps or 76 Mbps.  You will probably get TalkTalk's Super Router if you switch to fibre.

Message 14 of 16
AdzzyMalone
Aspirant

Where can I find the 72MBPS? And where can I purchase it
Message 15 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats