× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One Large Wifi Network Setup - WN802T

rumelk
Aspirant

One Large Wifi Network Setup - WN802T

Hi All

Im sure its been asked hundreds of times but i wanted somebody to shed some light on whether the following can be done. I have 3 Netgear WN802T access points in my home and wanted to know whether they can all be connected together to make one seamless connection. I want to be able to (for example) Skype or Facetime throughout the house however the connection drops out as it 'latches' onto another access point.

The repeater mode function on the access point is rubbish as it can only be configured for it to work wirelessly; ultimately I want it be in repeater mode but via ethernet as there are ethernet ports in every room and would be a lot faster. Also the point-to-point bridge mode on these access points wouldnt work either, as i'm trying to achieve repeater mode via ethernet.

I've drawn a rough picture of what the system looks like at the moment.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Many Thanks

Rumel, London, UK

Message 1 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Re: One Large Wifi Network Setup - WN802T

You can wire the access points back to the switches as shown in your diagram, however you will not get seamless roaming - your mobile devices can only associate with one access point at a time, they MUST disassociate from the first before they can associate with a second, and this when you will lose the connection - this will happen even if you repeat Please note, this is a limitation of the mobile device and not the access points - your mobile devices were just not intended to connect to more than one wireless access point at a time. I also want to say, just in passing, that some of the issues you are experiencing are caused by an incorrect understanding of wireless technology - repeater mode, or to give it it's correct name, wireless repeater mode is by definition, wireless, you cannot operate a wireless repeater using an ethernet connection - that requires access point mode, and point to point bridge mode is for bridging wired networks. What a wireless repeater does is first receive the transmission and then re-broadcast or repeat it.
Message 2 of 4
rumelk
Aspirant

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Is there anyway of creating a seamless wireless connection with different equipment from what I have?

Thanks again
Message 3 of 4
fordem
Mentor

The WiFi standards don't allow for seamless
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements