× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Only one device can connect to the WN3000rpv3 at the same time

floki09
Aspirant

Only one device can connect to the WN3000rpv3 at the same time

Hi

Question is in the subject, I'm, only able to connect one device at the same time to the repeater. I've installed the latest Firmware.

Is this a known issue of the repeater?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Only one device can connect to the WN3000rpv3 at the same time

Your dorm's network is probably set up to hand out only 1 IP address.  A router would work, but many colleges have policies against setting up your own network.  Find out.  

If it's against policy but you, ahem, still want to proceed with installing a router, make sure to clone the MAC address of your laptop's Ethernet interface to the router's Internet port.  This way, it won't be so obvious that you have hooked up a router.  If your dorm's IT staff is competent, they can easily find unauthorized Wi-Fi networks, so you may also need to disable Wi-Fi on the router and only use its Ethernet ports.

If you have to log into the dorm's network or acknowledge an AUA (Acceptable Use Agreement), then installing a router may not work.  You may have to resort to trickery, like initially connecting with your laptop and then switching over to the router.  

Another idea is to enable Internet Connection Sharing on a PC or Mac.  Basically, turn your computer into a router.  This will allow you to log into the dorm network or accept the AUA.  Again, the same caveats apply about broadcasting your own Wi-Fi network.  If you have a PC with two Ethernet ports, you could plug one port into the dorm and share the other port with other devices in your room.  Plug an Ethernet switch into the second port if you need more connections.  You could even plug in a router, though the network starts to get a little unwieldy.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi floki09,

Which router is connected to the WN3000RPv3?
Is this your first time setting up the WN300RPv3? Please try resetting the unit back to factory default (see page 32 of 43):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_2Sep2014.pdf

Message 2 of 4
floki09
Aspirant

Thanks for your response!

I've already set it back several times. I want to use it as an Access Point, I've only a wired connection in my student dorm, so no direct access to a router or whatsoever...

When I plug the cable out, all devices can connect to the repeater, as soon as I plug it in again it fails and only one device can connect to the repeater with an internet connection, all other devices can't connect to it. At home it works perfectly. Maybe there is a problem with the network of the dorm, would a router work here?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Your dorm's network is probably set up to hand out only 1 IP address.  A router would work, but many colleges have policies against setting up your own network.  Find out.  

If it's against policy but you, ahem, still want to proceed with installing a router, make sure to clone the MAC address of your laptop's Ethernet interface to the router's Internet port.  This way, it won't be so obvious that you have hooked up a router.  If your dorm's IT staff is competent, they can easily find unauthorized Wi-Fi networks, so you may also need to disable Wi-Fi on the router and only use its Ethernet ports.

If you have to log into the dorm's network or acknowledge an AUA (Acceptable Use Agreement), then installing a router may not work.  You may have to resort to trickery, like initially connecting with your laptop and then switching over to the router.  

Another idea is to enable Internet Connection Sharing on a PC or Mac.  Basically, turn your computer into a router.  This will allow you to log into the dorm network or accept the AUA.  Again, the same caveats apply about broadcasting your own Wi-Fi network.  If you have a PC with two Ethernet ports, you could plug one port into the dorm and share the other port with other devices in your room.  Plug an Ethernet switch into the second port if you need more connections.  You could even plug in a router, though the network starts to get a little unwieldy.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7