× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Onstar Vehicle Range Extender

OnTheRiver
Tutor

Onstar Vehicle Range Extender

I have a GM vehicle with the Onstar WIFI Hotspot and an AT&T unlimited plan.I have an RV travel trailer used for extended stays in various types of camping sites. The range of the vehicle hotspot is about 50 feet minus some “loss” for getting into the metal sided travel trailer. Most times the the lake shore is 55 feet away from the campsite. Will the EX6100v2 Range Extender work with the Onstar system? AC power is available in the vehicle or in the travel trailer.
Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
OnTheRiver
Tutor

Can now answer my own guestion and solve the problem. After 6 failed attempts at setting up the extender in the vehicle for extending the range of the Onstar WIFI hotspot with my tablet (5.2 Android Samsung NotePro) and phone (6.0 Android LG), I took my laptop with Windows 10 to the vehicle for the 7th attempt and the EX6100v2 set up right away - almost text book. Don't know why or what for the older Androids did not work.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello OnTheRiver, 

If your hotspot has a WPS button you should be able to connect that way if not you will need to connect to the extender and go to www.mywifiext.net then do the setup and connect to the aircards wireless network.

~Christian 

Message 2 of 4
OnTheRiver
Tutor

Went ahead and picked up the EX6100v2. The extender sees the vehicle OnStar WIFI hotspot network, but does not connect to the "router". The Extender’s router indicator light and direction arrow never illuminate. I don't know if the vehicle OnStar WIFI Hotspot has a “normal” router. The EX6100v2 will communicate with the Onstar WIFI and I can set up both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands with SSID and passwords. The client indicator light will come on green. The EX6100v2 does extend the WIFI signal a good distance - well over 100 feet- but there is no internet connection without being connected to the router. And I did verify the Extender does work by setting it up on my home WIFI network.

Using a WIFI analyzer app on my phone, the OnStar WIFI hotspot looks like a normal network, e.g.  IP address, frequency, speed, latency, etc.

Anyone been able to work through this?

Message 3 of 4
OnTheRiver
Tutor

Can now answer my own guestion and solve the problem. After 6 failed attempts at setting up the extender in the vehicle for extending the range of the Onstar WIFI hotspot with my tablet (5.2 Android Samsung NotePro) and phone (6.0 Android LG), I took my laptop with Windows 10 to the vehicle for the 7th attempt and the EX6100v2 set up right away - almost text book. Don't know why or what for the older Androids did not work.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7