× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi network configuration

alanbruno
Guide

Orbi network configuration

Fortunately, my question is not about getting my Orbi network working. Everything is functioning properly. However, the network configuration has me concerned that I may have made a misstep. The scenario:

We are in a two-strorey house with my wife's office on the second floor. We'd gotten the Orbi router with the satellite placed at the bottom of the stairway to get the signal up to her room (this is an older, smallish house with limited elec. outlet availability). It was working "okay" but was leaving something to be desired. I decided to get a second satellite and put it upstairs right by her office. The connection was made quickly and easily. 

Now, when I checked the network map on the Orbi app, I *thought* I saw "Internet > RBR50 > Satellite 1 > Satellite 2," in a straight line, which is what I'd expected (and hoped for). However, this morning I checked it again to find the network forked to each satellite separately (see attachment).

My assumption was that Sat. 1 would "hand-off" to Sat. 2. With the configuration as now shown, I can only presume the router is being required to send the signal directly to the upstairs satellite separately, which doesn't seem like an optimal situation (there is only one internet cable connection in the house).

So the questions:

--was I seeing things with the first map showing an inline network? It couldn't have somehow changed, could it? (I did move Sat. 2 to a slightly closer position after the initial setup)

--am I mistaken that getting a second satellite was the way to boost the upstairs signal?

--was the Orbi the proper system to do the job I wanted done as described or should I have gone with a different product?

Thx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7