× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi vs Nighthawk mesh

jmiller38
Aspirant

Orbi vs Nighthawk mesh

Currently have an R8500 X8 router and EX7300 extender in a 3 story 7500 sq ft home. Have added multiple Roku/Fire TVs and a home office in last few years and have been having some performance issues.  Considering adding new X6 or X6S Mesh Extender or replacing entire system with new Orbi WiFi 6.. Other than cost (large difference I know), what are the pros/cons or the different approaches.

Thanks

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi vs Nighthawk mesh

Hi @jmiller38, welcome to the community! Here are some point that you may consider (other than cost) to help you decide.

1. Is performance an issue on the devices that connect to your existing extender or the ones that are far from the router or is it also an issue on the main wireless router (R8500)?

2. If there is no issue on the main router, adding another extender instead of an entirely new setup may be a smoother/easier transition.

3. With your current configuration (how the devices are setup and situated), will the new additional extender be located in an area where it can still get a good signal from the router as well as broadcast to the devices that need the performance/signal quality?

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
jmiller38
Aspirant

Dexter,

Thanks for the reply. It is a bit hard to pinpoint where the performance issue lies as it is a mesh extender and all devices are on a single SSID. But, based solely on proximity, I would say that we have issues with both the extender and the main router. The Internet TV's, which appear to be connected to the router, can experience jitter issues and occasionally freeze. This generally occurs when there is significant gaming, facetime, or other highbandwidth activities going on in parallel. However, the issue is limited to the wireless devices as I have a gigabit port replicator connected to the router and all hard wired devices have no issue. 

Relative to point 3, the router is currently in the basement wiring closet left of house center and the current extender is on the second floor, right of house center. I was planning on putting the second extender on the first floor center of house. If I go with the Orbi 6 solution, I will put the router/satellites in essentially the same position.

I am leaning towards replacing the system as the router is 4+ years old. 

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Jeff, thanks for responding. Looks like you have enough variables to make the decision. Either way, let us know if you need any assistance or if you have questions.

Dexter

Message 4 of 5
dymek
Aspirant

Hello guys. I would like to buy Orbi mesh or Nighthawk mesh. I still don’t understand what difference is between this 2 and which one is for me. I have to extend my WiFi signal in 1800ft2 house. I have already Huawei HG659 Modem from my broadband provider, but signal is very poor. I have “few“ devices including smart home.
Ps. I was thinking about nighthawk MK62 or Orbi RBK12.

Thank you
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7