× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outdoor wifi extenders compatible with Orbi Mesh System

Lauralb
Tutor

Outdoor wifi extenders compatible with Orbi Mesh System

I have the RBK50 Orbi system with an indoor satellite and 2 outdoor satellites. I need to extend my signal a little further outdoors. Are there wifi extenders that are compatible instead of having to buy additional satellites?
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Outdoor wifi extenders compatible with Orbi Mesh System

How far are you talking needing to extend it? 

Are you currently going RBR----->rbs50y------>rbs50Y   

and looking to add another one at the end for a 3rd in the chain? 

Or what exactly are you attempting? The orbi's are great because they have the backhaul the helps reduce latency and keeps speeds stable. if you switch to a different extender style (not always), you can see reduced performance. Not saying you can't do it, just trying to figure out your end result because a different option like a point to point system might be better if you're trying to go long distance. 

Message 2 of 5
Lauralb
Tutor

I have a small retail store with 3 out buildings.  I need to get the signal to the back of all 3 buildings.  The outdoor satellites are working well, but I need a few more to get the signal to cover the entire area.  I don't need the performance to be superb, just steady and the coverage area bigger.  I was just looking for a less expensive alternative to get the signal the extra 100 feet to the back of the buildings.  Is there a limit on the number of satellites that can be used?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

What materials are these outbuilding? 

100ft shouldn't be to much of an issue but potentially can be depending on what materials the outbuildings are and what's obstructing the broadcasting.

Potentially you could use a different extender but you'd want to make sure its rated for outdoors. I've read of others using 3rd party extenders and adding to orbi. You'd probably want any 3rd party extender to use its own ssid to prevent issues

I've seen people on here with 6 satellites running. Personally the most satellites I've ran is 4x. 

Message 4 of 5
Lauralb
Tutor

Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements