× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 stopped working when I tried to using it in a different electricity socket

JamesJM
Aspirant

PLW1000 stopped working when I tried to using it in a different electricity socket

PLW1000 stopped working when I tried to using it in a different electricity socket. Using with Virgin Media broadband.

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: PLW1000 stopped working when I tried to using it in a different electricity socket

Adding an extension shouldn't wreck it. It just won't work as well. Did something arc? Arcing something could wreck it.
You could try a reset by holding the reset button in for 10 seconds while its plugged in.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: PLW1000 stopped working when I tried to using it in a different electricity socket

so you're saying it works but when you moved it to a different outlet, it doesn't?

Powerline is sensative to arc fault curcuits, gfci curcuits, and different types of interference. here's an article that goes over some of the devices that cause problems with powerline and what you can do to minimize those. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-tips-improve-speed-powerline-network/

Message 2 of 7
JamesJM
Aspirant

No it stopped working completely. It won't power up anymore. I had mistakenly connected an extension/strip. Now it does not power up in any type of socket.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Adding an extension shouldn't wreck it. It just won't work as well. Did something arc? Arcing something could wreck it.
You could try a reset by holding the reset button in for 10 seconds while its plugged in.
Message 4 of 7
JamesJM
Aspirant

I had tried that - sticking something in the hole 'Factory Reset' - is that the reset button you mean. I had also tried holding the button with the unlock symbol. It didn't work for me then but when I tried it in an outlet after your last message the green light came on. But as that wasn't the room I wanted to use it in, I took it to the other room and again it did not work. I tried restting it again and it didn't come back on. But after removing it from the outlet and putting it back in again it did come back on, so it seems to be temperamental. Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I would check a couple things.

1. check the outlet itself if you have a tester. maybe a wire is lose if its just that outlet having the issue.

2. Same with the plw1000. Maybe something came loose while plugging/unplugging. I don't know how new your house is by mine has the child proof outlets that are tough to push devices into. maybe it caused the plug to break/come loose. If its in warranty you could check on it if you find that to be the case. 

Message 6 of 7
JamesJM
Aspirant

Thanks, most likely 2.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7