× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Performance of the Nighthawk X6S

Sakaii
Follower

Performance of the Nighthawk X6S

In a few days I am going to move my computer from the family office into my bedroom. The Wifi signal in my room is not good at all and is barely functionable. My room is on the second floor of our house and about 70 feet from our router.

I've been doing a lot of research into Wifi extenders and it seems that the Nighthawk X6S is one of the best on the market. I just have a few questions about its performance and specifications.

To start, I want to use ethernet on my computer so will the Nighthawk work when it is placed about 70 feet from my router downstairs?

Next, I'm not sure if it is compatible with me router. My router has a 2.4 and 5 GHz band. The 2.4 is in 802.11g only and the 5 is in mixed which includes 802.11n and 802.11ac. Would the Nighthawk be able to connect to my router with these specifications?

Finally, I'm a big gamer and I stream on Twitch so I need a strong internet connection. If the Nighthawk were to be able to connect to my router with those specs and the distance it will be away, can a get a strong internet connection that will allow me to stream games at a 6000 bitrate still?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Performance of the Nighthawk X6S

with none of those questions can we tell you with certainty. 

reason why is many things influence extenders. In one home, 70ft might not be an issue. In another it could be because of hvac in the walls, wall materials, or even things like foil lined insulation or floor lining could cause issues. So can we tellyou 70ft will be fine? not really.

And because we won't know that for certain, how could we honestly say if it'll work, what the bitrate will be, or how it'll perform? 

If you are a gamer and whatt you do depends on latency/speed, then I'd look at possibly powerline, a full mesh system like orbi, or moca adapters. Powerline can also be a bit finicky with home wiring and whats running on the powerline but it could be an option for you. 

It might take some playing around to find whats going to work best for you. the first solution isn't always the one that's going to work when it comes to running home networks that really need peak speed and low latency. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7