× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Light staying on Orange when I plug in for the first time.

bolgerp
Follower

Power Light staying on Orange when I plug in for the first time.

I have just purchased a new WN2500RP. I have plugged it in. There are no other connections apart from the power. The orange light hasn't turned green. I have left the device for 10 minutes and tried it in 4 different power outlets. The 1 to 4 LAN indicator lights flash once intermittently once every 2 minutes or so. However, the power light never goes green. Any ideas anyone?
Message 1 of 16
CornishGH
Initiate

Re: Power Light staying on Orange when I plug in for the first time.

Clearly this forum isn't very active, but I'm having this problem too. Any solutions? Feeling pretty stupid if I just blew 100 bucks on a shiny paperweight!
Message 2 of 16
jgf0426
Initiate

I'm having the same problem, but it started for me after the unit was unplugged and plugged back in. I've tried to factory reset and the power light still stays amber and the port lights flash green once every few minutes.
Message 3 of 16
cskalski
Initiate

No one responded to my question either. At least mine works mostly. Did you guys with the orange light issue hook everything up right?
Message 4 of 16
jgf0426
Initiate

I went through WPS as a test, and it set up just fine. My issue occurred when the unit was unplugged and then plugged back in. Never got the opportunity to do more setup on the second go-round, as it went immediately to Amber. Power off/on and factory reset didn't solve it either. Guess I'll be returning it for a product swap unless someone else has any ideas.
Message 5 of 16
atrowish
Initiate

I've got exactly the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Dave.
Message 6 of 16
damiloveu
Aspirant

I got the the same issue. Just reset the extender back to factory settings and then the power light stayed in orange/amber.

The netgear customer support works only within 90 days.
Message 7 of 16
damiloveu
Aspirant

I am going to have a try to upgrade firmware.

Is there an instruction to do that?
Message 8 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 9 of 16
damiloveu
Aspirant

As I said the light is in orange when I powered it on. The reset button seem not work.
Message 10 of 16
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I suggest you create a ticket for support.

Message 11 of 16
daytooner
Tutor

I just started having this same problem. And I have created a ticket for it.

From my experience designing controller boxes like this, here is, IMHO, my take on the problem:

It appears that the box is stuck in an infinite loop, one where there is no way to get it out of. It is continually resetting itself, taking 30 seconds to do so. Occasionally, it will get into an operational state (power led turning green), but only for a few seconds, then it resets again. The factory default reset button appears to do nothing to break it out of that loop. So, in effect, this has become a box with little use other than to hang on a christmas tree. Maybe Netgear tech support knows something about this?

For me, this unit is now useless, and I don't have the time to waste playing with it. I will have to buy a new extender. Netgear? Dunno. My cynicism says this might be "planned obsolescence." :-(.

Good luck everyone with this.

ken

Message 12 of 16
daytooner
Tutor

To all the people who are having this problem:

I opened a case about this problem. The level 2 support tech said that the firmware was corrupted. He told me to try to upload new firmware to the extender. But since I could not get a continuous connection between the extender and my computer, that failed. So, essentially, it needs to be replaced. Fortunately, it is still under hardware warranty.

I STRONGLY recommend everyone to open a problem ticket.

Hopefully this will get their attention that this is not just an isolated problem.

So, good luck to all.

ken

Message 13 of 16
DanMastro
Aspirant

I just had the same problem. I submitted a ticket - hopefully they can do something. I don't want to have to send it back.
Message 14 of 16
daytooner
Tutor

DanMastro wrote:
I just had the same problem. I submitted a ticket - hopefully they can do something. I don't want to have to send it back.

First, it is good that you did submit a ticket. From the number of people with this problem, I believe that this is more of a design and/or manufacturing issue. And not with just one or two units. So the more tickets they see, the more likely they will get the hint.

As for having to send it back, well... That's Netgear's way of handling these things. What really sucks is that I (you will) have to pay shipping it to them. Graciously, they pay for the return shipping.

Unfortunately for me, I purchased another extender (different one: EX6100). So far it seems to be working. I might take that one back for a refund. But I am still not 100% convinced that the returned 2500RP unit will work.

If you do contact the technical support, I'd suggest stating the following, hopefully to save time:

1) you have factory reset the unit.

2) the unit continuously resets: after it completes a reset (power led turns green) it will eventually go amber and start the reset process over.

3) if you ping the unit (at 192.168.1.250) it will only briefly respond.

4) due to #3, you would be unable to tftp any new firmware.

This will hopefully cut through their support red tape, and quickly get you an RMA.

And, once again, to all those other people with the same problem: at least submit a ticket, whether or not you continue with the RMA process.

good luck all.

ken
Message 15 of 16
sammy66
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, but it started for me after the unit was unplugged and plugged back in. I've tried to factory reset and the power light still stays amber and the port lights flash green once every few minutes.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7