× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Powerline 2000 connectivity issuesSorry with Haywood pool controller

DrKim
Guide

Powerline 2000 connectivity issues with Haywood pool controller

My pool builder was having trouble getting an external atennae to connect with our wifi.  Connection wouldn't hold.

He asked our pool equipment supplier for help and they suggested these Netgear Powerlines.  I have one installed next to my router and one hardwired into my pool controller.  I was told these would work like hard wire connections, but they really don't.  I am supposed to have a mobile app to run pumps, lights, heaters in my pool but all I get are error messages on the phone app. Tells me to check my Omni controller connection and of course there is no connection.

Most of the time, the Powerlines are not connecting. My pool builder has basicly left me on my own.  I haven't had connection for the last two weeks.  I have been trying to reset the two outlets but they dont' seem to be talking to each other.  Suggestions?

Kim

Model: PLP2000|Powerline 2000 + Extra Outlet
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
DrKim
Guide

After several conversations with you and conversations with my pool builder, we have ginally fixed this problem.  My pool builder was not aware that I would have problems with the Powerlines if they were not on the same circuit.  What we finally did was move the Powerline device to my utility room which is the closet room to the pool controller and we plugged the Powerline into that circuit, same circuit as the ohter one.  Then we drillled a hole through the wall and ran a cable from that Powerline directly into my pool controller.  Now my problem is finally fixed.

Thank you for your consult and good advice.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline 2000 connectivity issues with Haywood pool controller

here's the actual forum for your device.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/bd-p/home-powerline

Powerline devices are sensative to interference. This can be from surge protectors, arc fault circuits, gfci outlets (which most pools are), high draw motors, cell phone chargers. You'll also get better performance/connection if devices are on the same circuit. Not sure if you're pool has a sub panel (auxiliary power panel) but that can impact it to. 

you're kind of caught in a catch-22.  You're pool controls are to far away for wifi and powerline is going to have interference by the very nature of pool equipment. Your best bet is going to be to optimize your powerline devices and if that doesn't work you can look into things like moca adapters (ethernet over coax), a mesh network, running an ethernet wire to your controller, or even potentially putting an extender as close as you can and then running the powerline device from there to the pool. 

I'd start with the optimize. See if you can get the one powerline adapter onto the same powerline circuit (not just box, the same wire run). Remove any surge protectors, extensions that the powerline could be connected to. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3041996/pump-up-your-powerline-how-to-get-the-best-performance-from-...

After you try this, let me know how it goes. 

Message 2 of 17
DrKim
Guide

You are exactly correct The pool and all its equipment is on a separate fuse panel and electrical circuit. So, I have one powerline box hooked hardwire to the controller and I have another powerline box plugged in near the router with the ethernet cable, but on a completely different circuit. 

This did work sporadically for a few days when the pool guys first installed but nothing works now.

Also the pool controller sits on the other side of the house from the router and is about 30-35 feet away from the pool controller.
I tried plugging the powerline into a different outlet near the router but that didn't seem to make any difference.
Other thoughts?
Kim
Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Do you have coax cable ran out to the pool area? You could use a moca adapter (ethernet over coax)

Or how far away is the pool from the house?   

What router are you using? Any ethernet extenders?

There's still a couple options if you have to go wireless and can't get anything else working. 

Message 4 of 17
DrKim
Guide

All my electrical panels, cable inputs, etc are on the right side of the house.  Only the pool controller electrical panel is on the left side.  I think it would be hard and expensive to try to run new coax over to the controller.

Our router is one provided by Spectrum but we will probably change that next month.

I don't have any other wifi extenders.

Other solutions I might try?

Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

Possible to relocate the router to the other side of the houes? potentially using the powerline device if needed to move it? 

Maybe the wifi would reach then? Or after moving, add a wireless extender?

Message 6 of 17
DrKim
Guide

If I were going to move the router, I would have to install all new coax and if doing that might as well install coax straight to my controller which I was hoping to avoid.

Message 7 of 17
plemans
Guru

use the powerline to run a 2nd router as close to the controller as possible? you could run it in AP mode. Or even an extender in AP mode?

Message 8 of 17
DrKim
Guide

So connect the powerline to an inside outlet close to the controller and connect something like a Nighthawk to that powerline device?  

Message 9 of 17
DrKim
Guide

I will still need an ethernet cable for the Nighthawk, right?

Message 10 of 17
DrKim
Guide

Or would I have to replace my Spectrum router with a Nighthawk router and then use an extender to connect to the powerline?

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

We're talking a lot of hypotheticals. 

1. Is your controller wireless?

2. how far from your house is the controller?

When I'm saying a 2nd router potentiall here's what I mean.

Modem/router----powerline device-------ran to opposite side of house/aka closest to controller-----powerline device--extender/2nd router in ap mode.  

Maybe this would get it close enough to the controller to connect? 

Message 12 of 17
DrKim
Guide

Sorry, I have confused issues.  I only have a modem today that enables me to be wireless with most  things. The controller is all hardwired into electrical.

The controller can pair with a mobile app that would allow me to change things in my pool like lighting, pool heater, etc.  Today the mobile app won't connect to the controller.  We tried the powerlines to get the connection between my controller and my modem but that doesn't work.

Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

so you need a wireless extender where the controller is. And the extender has to have an ethernet jack. Netgear has many of these that you could try. Monoprice also has a cheap one, I think its product 16135. runs around $12 for just a super basic wireless n devices that you can setup with multiple modes. read the Q&A. 

Still brings up the question of distance. To test it, take your phone into the area where the controller is and see if you can get a wireless signal from your main modem/router. 

Message 14 of 17
DrKim
Guide

Following your suggestion, I checked my connectivity between my phone and my wireless network while standing in front of my controller and it seems pretty strong.

You mentioned I needed to have an ethernet jack on the wireless extender.  Is the ethernet jack necessary so I can plug my controller into that?

I have an electrical outlet inside a weather proof box next to the controller.  Would the wireless extender plug into that outlet and then plug into my controller?  Trying to find a wireless extender about the size of the powerline which might fit inside that same box.

At one time I had an external antennae that was supplied by the pool equipment builder, but it didn't seem to get a signal very well.  If I went back to that and plugged a wireless extender inside my house on the opposite side of the wall near the antennae, would I get the same result we are trying to achieve?

Message 15 of 17
plemans
Guru

Its very possible that the extender in the house with hooking the wireless antenna back to the controller might works. Or the extender connected via ethernet jack might works. Its one of those things you're going to have to play with to see what works. 

Message 16 of 17
DrKim
Guide

After several conversations with you and conversations with my pool builder, we have ginally fixed this problem.  My pool builder was not aware that I would have problems with the Powerlines if they were not on the same circuit.  What we finally did was move the Powerline device to my utility room which is the closet room to the pool controller and we plugged the Powerline into that circuit, same circuit as the ohter one.  Then we drillled a hole through the wall and ran a cable from that Powerline directly into my pool controller.  Now my problem is finally fixed.

Thank you for your consult and good advice.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7