× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Wifi 1000 - Not finding IP address

mark53158
Aspirant

Powerline Wifi 1000 - Not finding IP address

This is the second chance I've given this Netgear extender to have a stronger wifi signal to my detached garage. I connected the adapters as directed by the manual to my Nighthawk router and when I go to my firestick in my garage I see the signal strength is now very good but after entering in the adapter password it doesn't find the IP Address. Looking for suggestions.

Message 1 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Powerline Wifi 1000 - Not finding IP address

Hi @mark53158

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please describe the LED status of the adapters. If the Pick-A-Plug LED is off then the adapter did not find any other compatible Powerline devices. 

Do you have Internet connection when connected wired to the adapter? 

Kindly place the adapter close together or in same room and check if you Internet access. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 5
mark53158
Aspirant

The Pick a Plug light is off and yes I do have internet connection. When I did move the adapter from my unattached garage inside my house closer to the other adapter connected to my router, it does find the IP Address and everything is fine. However, the signal strength is too weak from my garage (20 ft. away) if I leave it this way. When I place the adapter back into the garage (which is only 20 feet away from the other adapter) the signal strength is strong in the garage but, again, cannot find the IP Address. Is the problem because my garage is outside my home by about 20 feet??? The reason I purchased this extender is because I viewed a youtube video showing someone extending his wifi to his garage outside his house.

Message 3 of 5

@mark53158 wrote:

The Pick a Plug light is off and yes I do have internet connection. When I did move the adapter from my unattached garage inside my house closer to the other adapter connected to my router, it does find the IP Address and everything is fine.

To me that suggests an issue on the mains link between the garage and the house.

Many garages, including my "shed", are on a different mains spur with its own junction box.

If everything works indoors and breaks when you move the "guest" plug  to the garage, that is suspicious.

What happens when you try the remote plug in different sockets in the house?

You say " I do have internet connection". Does that mean that the remote plug delivers an Internet connection to the garage over wired Ethernet?

Message 4 of 5
mark53158
Aspirant

May garage does not have its own junction box and I’ve tried tried different outlets in the house. Same problem. Only get a marginal strength in the garage. With just my router and no extension I get a fair connection so I was hoping a stronger connection with the extension.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7