× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Wifi PLW1000 Never shows Powerline light

frankjan
Aspirant

Powerline Wifi PLW1000 Never shows Powerline light

Hello

I have a Netgear Powerline PLW1000 connected to my home server. All the lights are green excerpt from the Powerline one. It barely ever works and when it does, it lasts about 4 seconds. Thats way to shoort to be able to connect to the server. Someone help me please?

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline Wifi PLW1000 Never shows Powerline light

powerline is sensitive to interference. This includes gfci outlets, surge protectors, arc fault circuits, extended runs, bad phone chargers, high draw motors, etc. 

do the adapters work in the same room? 

Message 2 of 10
frankjan
Aspirant

Hi. Yes, they do work in the same room. I have a surge protected extension cord and the Powerline is plugged into it. Is this causing the problem? 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

surge protectors cause issues with powerline devices. I'd start by removing that. 

Message 4 of 10
frankjan
Aspirant

I removed the surge protector and tried a different socket. Still no luck. However, the light now stays on for 1 minute now. Glows green for a bit but then it goes off again. The trouble is that I can't move my server to another room because then I would have to re-connect everything and the server is very heavy. Have you got any more suggestions?

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

maybe your home wiring has interference on it or something within the wiring causing issues. 

Start in the room that both plugs are in and gradually more the plug away from the base unit. At a certain point you'll find out how far from that base you can get. 

You can also investigate what else might be causing interference. maybe its a device with a bad motor. Or a gfci breaker going bad or in circuit. 

Or you might be in a home that powerline doesn't work well with. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3041996/pump-up-your-powerline-how-to-get-the-best-performance-from-...

Message 6 of 10
frankjan
Aspirant

Well, I do have quite a bit of computers at my house (6 of them) and I have a signal booster plugged into my router and then, I have the main Powerline unit plugged from the signal booster. It doesnt matter if I use the Powerline with or without the signal booster, I still get no light. I checked and the furthest I can use the Powerline is 2 meters away from the main unit otherwise, the light won't be on.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

not sure what you mean by "signal booster". 

I'd try them in a different area of the home. 

I'd also try them somewhere else to make sure they're good. 

Message 8 of 10
frankjan
Aspirant

By signal booster, I meant a device that increases the signal to my router because I live in a rural area. All of the units work in the same room but when I start changing rooms, it immediately looses the powerline light. Did I get a defective kit? The only device I have in the room I want to use it in is just the server. Is the server drawing too much power for the unit to work?

@plemans wrote:

not sure what you mean by "signal booster". 

I'd try them in a different area of the home. 

I'd also try them somewhere else to make sure they're good. 

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

What "signal booster" do you have?

I get what it means in principle but what model and type are we talking? 

And you might have gotten a defective kit or your home might not be condusive to powerline devices. Some wiring or devices within a home cause to much interference. They'll be fine on a single circuit but once it crosses over a circuit, it can start having issues. Thats why its good to check in the same room and work your way outwards. Also to try another house if you know someone to try it on. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7