× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline

gb59
Aspirant

Powerline

Hi there.  I have a Powerline PL1000v2.  I have a really big house.  When I connect my laptop to this network, I get download speeds of about 50mbps (I am in a bad area and isp cannot provide better performance).  However, when I move my laptop to my office, the performance drops to less than half - about 18mbps.  I am thinking of adding an additional adaptor in my office.  Will that improve speeds?  If I relocate the existing adaptor to my office, I dont get any internet connection at all.

In other words. Would adaptor 3 connect to adaptor 2, or the primary adaptor 1 ?  Refer attached diagram.

Next question.  Where can I buy just 1 additional adaptor?  Every supplier appears to only sell the 2 adaptor kit.  I am in Queensland Australia.

Model: PL1000|PowerLINE 1000 adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
gb59
Aspirant

Re: Powerline

Many thanks.  I think you solved my problem.

Maybe the circuit in my office is not the same circuit that the primary adaptor is connected to; and no point trying to extend the range by using an additional adapter (which is what I thought); and near impoossible to buy single additional adaptor of same brand and model.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
gb59
Aspirant

198 views and no responses??

Does anyone know the answer ?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

netgear only sells them in pairs. but the pl1000v2 uses HomePlug AV and HomePlug Green PHY standards so any other adapter that supports that standard should work. 

No they don't daisy chain with powerline adapters. There's a main one that feeds the others. 

And powerline devices are sensitive to many things. These include:

gfci outlets

surge protectors

arc fault breakers

high draw appliances

bad/cheap cell phone charges

poorly made electronices

old wiring in homes

or even electronics going bad

Reason why is they can either block the signal or can inject interference in the powerline. For some homes, powerline works great, for others, its pretty much pointless. My home, powerline works great if I'm on the same circuit. once you need a powerline off the same circuit, speeds drop to near pointless levels. 

there's other options you can look into like:

moca adapters (ethernet over coax)

A full mesh wireless system like orbi/eero

Message 3 of 4
gb59
Aspirant

Many thanks.  I think you solved my problem.

Maybe the circuit in my office is not the same circuit that the primary adaptor is connected to; and no point trying to extend the range by using an additional adapter (which is what I thought); and near impoossible to buy single additional adaptor of same brand and model.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7