× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Proper config for Nighthawk R8000 router to multiple Mesh extenders

DomSIm
Guide

Proper config for Nighthawk R8000 router to multiple Mesh extenders

I have the R8000 router working with the EX8000 mesh extender. I am planning on adding the EX7700 mesh extender in the near future. I am trying to figure out the proper way to do this, as the current way the router and one extender are connected, doesn't seem like it would work properly.

Currently I have the 3 bands on the R8000 setup as follows:
2.4ghz band - broadcast SSID
5ghz band #1 - broadcast SSID low band

5ghz band #2 - hidden SSID high band

Connection from EX8000 is as follows:
2.4ghz connected to broadcast 2.4ghz band from router
5ghz connected to hidden 5ghz band #2

Extended networks shown from EX8000
2.4ghz - same as broadcast from router
5ghz - same as broadcast from router band #1

In my mind, this made sense, the 5ghz higher band from the router was acting as the backhaul with no other devices being able to cennect to it, I assumed the EX8000 would use this for backhaul. But now, If I want to connect a second mesh extender (EX7700), it will be daisy chained from the EX8000 and the 5ghz band #2 will now be reachable, leading me to believe this is not the correct setup.

So my question, is how to best setup the 3 bands coming from the router. Should both 5ghz bands be broadcast with the same name and password? Would connecting through WPS associate the mesh extenders properly, and will they intellegently use the available bands for backhaul? What if the second extander is out of range from the router, are all 3 bands actually available from the EX8000 still for the second extender to daisy chain? I hope this all makes sense and someone is able to provide an answer. To me, it just doesn't seem like it is going to work the way it is intended it the EX8000 is not able to connect and therfore forward ALL 3 bands.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router,EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
DomSIm
Guide

"In my mind, this made sense, the 5ghz higher band from the router was acting as the backhaul with no other devices being able to cennect to it, I assumed the EX8000 would use this for backhaul. But now, If I want to connect a second mesh extender (EX7700), it will be daisy chained from the EX8000 and the 5ghz band #2 will now NOT be reachable, leading me to believe this is not the correct setup."

This was a typing mistake in the OP. Meant to say the 3rd band would not be reachable. Why can't posts be edited? 😕

Message 2 of 5
DomSIm
Guide

Is there no support here?

Message 3 of 5
DomSIm
Guide

Apparently not. What a joke. 

Message 4 of 5
tgamble713
Aspirant

Was curious how this worked out for you?   I'm having issues in a similar scenario.  I have an R8000, with two eX7700s.  The ex7700s are currently unable to connect at all via 5ghz.  

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7