× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900

Wackonerd
Tutor

Question on Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900

I want to make sure - that I can run a CAT6 cable from the original internet WiFi router to this one, and it will act as an extender on the same SSID?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

No. 

If you hardwire it in, you're running it in access point mode. (or should rerun setup to run in that mode)

Access point mode disables the smart roaming features. 

You can set it with the same ssid/password as your router and devices will roam to it based on their own protocols. It just tends to be less efficient. 

But the benefit is, when hardwired in, the EX7000 has more speed versus running in extender mode. 

So there's pro's and con's to each setup. 

Message 2 of 9
Wackonerd
Tutor

Ok - so the connectivity has to be wireless from the other router if you want the same SSID and mesh mode?  Just making sure I am getting what I need.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

thats a little over simplified. 

When its setup in extender mode, the smart roaming features are enabled. So you can use it with the one wifi option/smart connect. 

If you set it up in access point mode, you manually set the ssid/password. You just have to make sure to put the wireless channels on a different one from the router so they don't cause interference. 

Message 4 of 9
Wackonerd
Tutor

I appreciate your input on this.  Here is my problem.  I have an existing WiFi router that is in an office - and there are 2 large warehouse areas that I need to cover.  The office is in the larger of the 2 warehouses.  The 2 warehouses are connected, but have a major brick wall in between them.  I would like to put 2 more access points - one in each of the warehouses - to wirelessly cover them.  I was thinking of using 2 of these to do that.  The brick wall does block a lot of the 5 ghz signal going into the front warehouse.  Find a not to scale diagram of the building below.  What would you do?.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|                                                                                                  |  This back part of the warehouse is 300 feet deep by 150 feet wide

|                                                                                                  |

|                                                                                                  |

|--------------------                                                                          |

|      Office        |                                                                          |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <- brick dividing wall

|                                                                                                                                                                      |

|                                                                                                                                                                      |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This front part of the warehouse is about 170 feet wide, and 100 feet deep

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

I think you should switch to buying an orbi setup versus using 2x AC1900's.. Either standard or pro orbi. 

Reason why multiple. 

1. I don't' recommend using more than 1 extender. you can do it, but if wireless, it can cause issues

2. Orbi supports both wired and wireless backhaul (smart roaming still works in the wired setup)

3. You can add additional satellites to orbi as needed for extra coverage. 

Basically, it'll simplify the setup and be more seamless. And if you're not needing super fast speeds, you can use the older generation AC stuff. Or you can use the newer AX setup. 

Message 6 of 9
janetwilson
Tutor

You also can use your Nighthawk router as an extender and a non-NETGEAR router as your most important router. Note: If you installation your Netgear router as an extender (wi-fi repeater), vital routing features like community site visitors control aren't active.https://bit.ly/3BFJqPe

Message 7 of 9
Wackonerd
Tutor

Everyone - thank you so much for your replies.  Ok - I am now looking at the Netgear Orbi Pro AX6000 Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Mesh Wi-Fi System (4-Pack).  It has the router and 3 satellites.  Is that a good choice?  Can I run one wire from a satellite to another satellite - or do all the satellites have to be home runs back to the Orbi router?  I think this will be my final question.  Again - thank everyone for your help!

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain them and connect 1 satellite to the next. 

What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7