× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question using the AC750 to connect WiFi signal to an ethernet device

harropenk
Aspirant

Question using the AC750 to connect WiFi signal to an ethernet device

This question pertains to using the AC750 EX3700 WiFi range extender to connect a single ethernet device.  We have a printer which needs to be connected via WiFi and we can't run cables due to where it is located.  The question is if the EX3700 will pass-through the IP address, or will it give the connected device (a printer) a completely different subnet address.  We've already tried a couple of other devices and upon arrival we've found out that those devices unfortunately create separate IP address domains.  Our WiFi IP range is 10.1.0.0/24, and we need the printer to also be on that same subnet, so before we spend more time and money on an EX3700 I need to know if this will pass down a 10.1.0.0/24 IP address on the ethernet port, or will it create some kind of 192.168.0.0/24 (or otherwise) separately routed subnet?

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

It should use the same IP range as the router. I've ran multiple netgear extenders and they've all used the same IP range as the primary router. 

Message 2 of 4
harropenk
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I didn't ask my question correctly, but I think your answer doesn't address my problem:

(1)  We wouldn't be using this as a WiFi extender.  Instead, we're trying to connect a wired ethernet printer to our corporate wireless network.  The netgear unit has an ethernet port, which according to directions/specifications can be used to connect wired devices to wireless.  Your answer would only address trying to connect a wireless device via a bridge mode.  We've actually tried that with a couple of competing devices, and sure enough - they put the printer in a completely different subnet.  And .... because those devices routing capability was so low-end, we couldn't make changes or get it into a pass-through mode.  Heck, even connecting to our WiFi was kind of iffy - we usually keep the corporate SSID hidden, but the way to connect to the network required a visible SSID.  Easy enough, we made it temporarily visible just to connect this (ultimately not viable) WiFi-to-ethernet converter, but all of that could have been alleviated if they just allowed users to type in the SSID.

(2)  So again, if using this device as a WiFi-to-(wired) ethernet converter, does the unit change the subnet or does it maintain the same subnet at the WiFi?  Is is a router or a hub/switch in that mode?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I understand that you're not using it as an extender. 

But in extender mode, it allows you to use the ethernet port as a direct connection in the same subnet. 

I don't know what devices you used prior or how you set it up, but whenever I setup a device hardwired into an extender, it pulls the same subnet as my network. 

And hiding your ssid doesn't make it any more secure. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7