× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Questionable Conversation with Netgear

ctclone3211
Tutor

Questionable Conversation with Netgear

I tried to reach "MyWiFiExt" online and couldn't. Was looking for the "Connect With the Netgear Installation Assistant" to correctly install the range extender. Couldn't find that either. Looked further into the web and found a Netgear mywifiex help number of <REDACTED>. Called the number and the person that answered asked when I bought it, had I installed it, and the serial number. That seemed to be what I thought would be normal questioning. Then I was sent a program to allow this person to enter my Desktop to check and review my network.
This resulted in being told that my network and been breached and there were many ip addresses that were not mine. To make sure that my extender would work correctly, this person would eliminate the apparent danger by removing these threats and establishing a firewall prior to my modem and separate router for a listing of various rates for this service in multiple increments. I said that I would have to think about that and call him back. He gave me the same number that I had called along with an ID.

Obviously, I was suspect of this proposal and was concerned that it was a bogus situation working off of the Netgear number. Can anyone confirm that I was having a legitimate conversation? Actually, the proposal didn't sound bad.

My question to the forum, does anyone have knowledge of Netgear offering such a service as part of their program? Or, has anyone else had this type of conversation with a person connected to Netgear.

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Questionable Conversation with Netgear

@ctclone3211 wrote:

found a Netgear mywifiex help number.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the website you reached, you'll find some fine print that says "xxxxx.net is an independent service provider of support"

Since the number you found isn't a Netgear support number, the person you were talking with wasn't employed by or under contract to Netgear. 

I've redacted the phone number from your post, as I don't want people who are searching the forum to make the same mistake you did.

@ctclone3211 wrote:

Actually, the proposal didn't sound bad.

It's a fairly common scam, and a lot of people do fall for it.  If you are lucky they will only take your money.  If you aren't so lucky you can end up with malware on your PCs and identity theft.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ctclone3211 wrote:

found a Netgear mywifiex help number.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the website you reached, you'll find some fine print that says "xxxxx.net is an independent service provider of support"

Since the number you found isn't a Netgear support number, the person you were talking with wasn't employed by or under contract to Netgear. 

I've redacted the phone number from your post, as I don't want people who are searching the forum to make the same mistake you did.

@ctclone3211 wrote:

Actually, the proposal didn't sound bad.

It's a fairly common scam, and a lot of people do fall for it.  If you are lucky they will only take your money.  If you aren't so lucky you can end up with malware on your PCs and identity theft.

Message 2 of 3
ctclone3211
Tutor

Thank you for the reply and the correct info.  Just shows how looking up something to get help can look real and be a scam.

FREE MYWIFIEXT.NET & NETGEAR WIFI EXTENDER PROBLEM DIAGNOSTICS. Our tech team is expert in fixing all king of Netgear products related issues, not loading of mywifiext.net page and Genie Setup. ... Our Tech Experts are just a phone call away Call 1-XXX-XXX-XXX"
Just looked it up again and there was the listing just like the real thing.  It is a shame what people can get placed  as a lising on the web.
Watch out the next time, as I will, for the web is a "Buyer Beware" since there are no verifications as to whom might be behind that listing.

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7