× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 + WAC104 poor wifi

Fullauto2009
Aspirant

R6220 + WAC104 poor wifi

Ive got an R6220 routing my cable modem and also broadcasting 2.4/5G in the basement.

Im connected to two WAC104s from the router. One one the main floor, the other on the second floor. Theyre connected via rg6 coax MOCA boxes.

At each WAP, Via ethernet I get about 300Mbps down. Good enough.

Wifi seems to be very inconsistent. From less than 10Mbps to about 100Mbps.

Each WAP has the same SSID and PW for both bands and none of my previously configured devices have issues finding the network.

Having each WAP with its own SSID solidifies connections for static devices such as tvs and cameras, but obviously not ideal for mobile devices, phones and laptops.

Ive tried putting each band for each device on its own channel, using the nighthawk app to identify the least occupied channels. This caused severe conmection issues.

After about an hour on the phone with netgear they only suggested changing the channel for the router wifi. Which seemed to help at the time.

With just the router i never had any issues with the same modem. Im in a bigger house now and the range isnt ideal from the basement.

Further some devices require superb wifi signal operate properly thus having a WAP nearby is neccessary.

Im just wondering what im doing wrong. Or if perhaps i should define static ips for each device or something. There are times where my tv which is like 10ft from a WAP is constant buffering on netflix.

Or my phone to load a webpage such as this is very slow.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ps. I intially upgraded firmware to current on all devices. And performance was poor. From a similar thread for WAC104s I rolled back the FW to 1.0.4.8
Which helped but only temporarily.

Oddly enough basically all my attached devices show as wired now, even ipads and other devices that are clearly wireless, aka theyre connected to a WAP.

The only other thing i can note is that each WAP is behind a wall mounted tv.
Message 1 of 2
Fullauto2009
Aspirant

Re: R6220 + WAC104 poor wifi

Bump. Any ideas out here?

I should be able to expand my wifi network under one ssid and pw no?

Thanks in advance
Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas, WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7