× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v.2 and EX2700

kris68
Aspirant

R6700v.2 and EX2700

wifi Modem wired to TP-LINK AC1200 router, wired to Netgear R6700v.2 router with 300' ethernet cable.  R6700 in access point mode.  Does using the router that way make any sense, or isn't it likely helping boost the signal?  I also have a directional antenna connected to the 2.4GHz antenna post on the R6700, which sends wifi about 600' to building where EX2700 is plugged in.  So my first question is, is the directional antenna likely helping send/boost the signal from the R6700  that's in access point mode, or should I just take that off?   And my next one is, is it possible to boost the wifi signal from the access point (R6700) using the EX2700?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: R6700v.2 and EX2700

@kris68 wrote:

wifi Modem wired to TP-LINK AC1200 router, wired to Netgear R6700v.2 router with 300' ethernet cable.  R6700 in access point mode.  Does using the router that way make any sense, or isn't it likely helping boost the signal? 

It does make some sense.  You can certainly see how much it helps by turning off the R6700 wifi, and then try connecting to the TP-link wifi when you are near the R6700's location.  Run speedtest.net.   Then switch on the R6700 radio(s), re-join the R6700 wifi network and test the speed again. 

@kris68 wrote:

And my next one is, is it possible to boost the wifi signal from the access point (R6700) using the EX2700?

Yes, though the EX2700 will only extend the 2.4 ghz network.  The EX6400 would be a better choice.

You need to position the extender part way between the R6700 and the spot where you want to improve coverage.

Message 2 of 6
kris68
Aspirant

Turns out that there's a lot more to  setting up my wifi network than I expected, because every time I change anything I've been having to reset my routers/extenders and start over again, and they're not all easy to access because they go across a field from one building to another, and one of the routers is in a cramped space out in the middle of the field.

I took the TP-LINK out of the mix for now and am going to run speed tests at each station and then decide which equipment to use.  I only need the 2.4GHz  band because I'm only using the wifi on one laptop.  So if I buy more equipment I'd be looking for routers and/or extenders that would increase the strength of the signal on that one band.  

I have two inexpensive extenders, and meco and the netgear ex2700.  Is it possible to boost the wifi coming out of one extender with the other one, or do extenders only connect to routers?  I think the meco can be used as a router or a booster, but haven't figured out how to do that, yet.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You can daisy-chain the extenders, but the performance does drop when you do that.

There are some specialized products out there for bridging a longer gap between buildings, so if the performance is inadequate you might give them a look.  These are products designed for outdoor use with directional antennas.  Unfortunately Netgear doesn't make any products for that application.  One product you could look into is the Ubiquiti NanoStation.

Message 4 of 6
kris68
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You can daisy-chain the extenders, but the performance does drop when you do that.

Do you mean that the wifi signal gets weaker?  I have figured out that I can have a strong wifi signal coming from a router or extender (maximum # of bars), but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll have good internet speeds.  So when you say that the performance drops, would that be the internet speed?

[quote]There are some specialized products out there for bridging a longer gap between buildings, so if the performance is inadequate you might give them a look.  These are products designed for outdoor use with directional antennas.  Unfortunately Netgear doesn't make any products for that application.  One product you could look into is the Ubiquiti NanoStation.

Thank you!  I'm going to look into that just as soon as I do more speed tests to get a better idea of what I'm getting from the equipment I have.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kris68 wrote:

Do you mean that the wifi signal gets weaker? 

No.

Each extender relays the wifi to the next device in the chain.  If a data packet takes X seconds to send to a router (with a good wifi connection), then the effect of a single relay is that it will take 2X seconds.  With two extenders, it takes 3X seconds.  So even when the signal is strong there will be a loss in speed. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7