× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 + EX7000 still not enough

MatthewKovich
Initiate

R7000 + EX7000 still not enough

Hi all!

I have a modestly sized two-floor bungalow in the Chicago suburbs, and I'm still having trouble getting strong coverage in all rooms. I have the R7000 (AC1900) router and the EX7000 (AC1900) Wireless Mesh Range Extender.

The router is on top of a cabinet In the middle of the first floor. The EX7000 is currently in the home office on the east side of the second floor, and I can't get a good enough signal in the bedroom on the west side of the second floor. The first floor is great, the 2nd floor office is great, and the yard is pretty good, but that bedroom just doesn't get full bars.

Two questions:

1) Any tips for using that combination most effectively?

2) Is there a third Netgear item I could buy to add to the network in order to get better coverage?

Thanks so much
-Matt
Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 + EX7000 still not enough

How large is this "modest" bungalow? many have differing opinions of what modest is. 

What interior materials is this bungalow? many materials do great job of blocking signals. Like if its a concrete floor, its going to block a lot of signal. 

One thing I'd look at first is placement. Simple things like hvac within walls/floors/ceilings block signals well. Or if its a metal cabinet you have it resting on. its going to block signals quite well. Sometimes simple things like moving the router to a slighly different location as well as moving the extender, can help quite significantly. i had an issue once where a router was backed up against hvac within a wall and it blocked half the house from getting signal. A simple move a few feet corrected the problem. 

Message 2 of 4
MatthewKovich
Initiate

1,600 soft. It's probably building materials, I'll try some new positions.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you're able to centrally locate the R7000, it should be enough to cover the bungelow. If you have dead spots from the prior mentioned building materials, setup the EX7000 so it's coming from a different angle and you'll cut those dead spots down to pretty much gone 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7