× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000p

MargieK
Aspirant

R7000p

I currently use the Nighthawk R7000P would like to add an extender.  Searching for one is mind-bending and must admit know very little about the tech side.

I believe my router is 1.9Gbps, if that makes a difference.  

Will any Netgear range extender work with my current router?

Thanks in advance

Margie K

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000p

NG EX series, EX7000, EX7500, EX7700 or EX8000 will work. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

NG EX series, EX7000, EX7500, EX7700 or EX8000 will work. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Theoretically any extender will work. We can recommend random extenders 

but it helps more if you give us more details. 

How large is the home? 

Are you needing more than 1 extender? 

What are you attempting to do with them? (for example, IoT devices take much less bandwidth than streaming)

What's your budget?

Sometimes moving to a new mesh system is better versus adding an extender. 

Or if you're planning on upgrading routers are some point, its worth getting a newer AX extender. 

Message 3 of 5
MargieK
Aspirant

The house is about 1700SF with a metal roof.  The furthest outdoor camera is about 150ft from the house.  I currently have EX6120 but there's only 2 bars on most of the camera.  I've noticed the TV furthest from the router is buffering more often and I'm getting ready to add another outdoor TV.

I am not in the city so there's not fiber optic service yet!

Any advice is appreciated and I've been burned with advice from a big box store

Margie K

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

1700sqft isn't that large. Problem is if you're wanting outdoors and you're adding extenders to a network already using them. 
I don't ever recommend using more than 1x extender. If you're needing more than 1, its better to move to a mesh system like Orbi or MK nighthawk. 

If you have minimal internet speeds and need to preserve as much as possible, I'd check into the tribands. 

You can get a RBK43 system (router + 2x satellites) for pretty cheap new and even cheaper refurbished. Their dedicated backhaul helps with saving throughput and allows more coverage. Plus you can add more satellites if needed. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7