× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 and extender

kwahaes
Aspirant

R7800 and extender

I recently moved into an apartment.  It is a 4 story place but we occupy floors 3 and 4.  The front door is on 1, it is 3 flights of stairs to floor 3 where our master and living room is, and then 2 more flights up to the 4th floor where our office is.  I have an R7800 on the 4th floor so I can run wired to my PC.  I get good signal on the 3rd, but getting a good signal out to the Ring doorbell on 1st floor is troublesome.  I have an EX3700 extender but that doesn't seem to be helping much.  The Ring shows an RSSI of -47.  The connection from the R7800 to the EX3700 seems to be there but the doorbell video is choppy.  Is the EX8000 the way to go here or should I be looking at something else?  I can't move the R7800 to the 3rd floor because I will lose my wired connection necessary for a work and home pc.  I also have a Cisco 891 device coming off the R7800 to run a point to point VPN back to my work.  It also contains my work's Wireless AP's.  I have the R7800 on channel 11 which seems to avoid most interference and gives the EX3700 the most bandwidth at 270Mbps.  I just can't get good throughput though to the doorbell.  Is the EX8000 better at this mesh/extending than the EX3700?

2nd question.. I have a wifi analyzer that is showing the best channels for me to select would be 9+13 or 13+9.  How do I set my 2.4 side of the R7800 to that?

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: R7800 and extender

I believe the ring doorbell suse between 1-2 Mbps upload in order to provide a smooth stream.

Depending on thecountry, you may not be able to use channel 13. (e.g., if you are in the US)

As for the extender, try connecting to its 2.4GHz band with your smartphone and then doing a speed test to see what throughput you are getting compared to being directly connected to the router.

Message 2 of 3
kwahaes
Aspirant

Re: R7800 and extender

I did this and it was kind of all over the place.  Even when standing next to the repeater, it would sometimes not work or be slow as heck.  However, I would be able to sometimes get the 5G from my router itself and would fly.  If I had to guess, the EX3700 is either flaking out on 2.4 or there is just so much interference on 2.4 that things can't stay steady.  Signal is definitely weaker though from that repeater because when it did connect and work, speeds were very slow, like 10 Mbps down, and 2 or less up.  But that time it did connect to 5G at my router (not extender) it went 86 down, 10 up.  Not sure what to do.  I have a Wifi analyzer app, but it is basic and shows many other apartment routers on 1, 6 and 11.  I am thinking a better repeater might help, but I also need to figure out best channel option.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7