× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 router and EX7500 extenders - iOS reboot for continuity

Hoochee
Aspirant

R7800 router and EX7500 extenders - iOS reboot for continuity

I have an iPhone 6S. iOS is irrelevant because this has happened on every iOS since I installed the extenders.

When I walk to an area of the house where the device needs to switch between the router wifi and extender wifi, or vice versatile, to get internet or connect to other devices on the network I must either switch wifi off then on in the iPhone Settings, or reboot it.

I’ve already:

Reset Network settings in the iPhone
Rebooted the router and extender
Assigned an IP to the iPhone
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: R7800 router and EX7500 extenders - iOS reboot for continuity

Firmware on the router and the extender? 

How far apart is the router from the extender? 

Another thing to keep in mind with the roaming protocol is that it isn't the router or extender that switch the devices. Its the device themselves (iphone) that switch based on their own roaming protocol. If the extender is to close to the router or if there's other interference and the iphones own roaming protocol is saying "the signal isn't that much better to switch" then it isn't going to. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000045269/What-is-Smart-Roaming-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender

Message 2 of 5
Hoochee
Aspirant

Router to extender distance - about 30 feet straight line, but that’s 1 door, three walls, and a floor.

I know the roaming protocol is managed by the device. However, if what you describe is the case then I should still have LAN and internet access because my device would see there’s not a better connection and keep the one to whichever device (router or extender) it was already connected. The issue I seem to be having is the iPhone is switching to the other Netgear device but then is...I don’t what.

The link you provided - something in particular you think is relevant?
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Hoochee wrote:
Router to extender distance - about 30 feet straight line, but that’s 1 door, three walls, and a floor.

I know the roaming protocol is managed by the device. However, if what you describe is the case then I should still have LAN ----lan is hardwired access to the extender. you only mentioned phones/roaming devices. and internet access because my device would see there’s not a better connection and keep the one to whichever device (router or extender) it was already connected. The issue I seem to be having is the iPhone is switching to the other Netgear device but then is...I don’t what.----based off this description, neither do i. What's it doing or not doing? Vague descriptions don't help us to help you.

The link you provided - something in particular you think is relevant?---was merely pointing out that its the devices that roam based on their own protocol. 

Message 4 of 5
Hoochee
Aspirant

LAN - I originally replied with an apology for referring to LAN but fact is it’s a correct term as I used it. My LAN is comprised of all devices, wired or wireless, on my network.

“What’s it doing or not doing? Vague descriptions don’t help...” Help me understand what’s not specific about this from my original post and I’ll add more detail: “ When I walk to an area of the house where the device needs to switch between the router wifi and extender wifi, or vice versa to get internet or connect to other devices on the network I must either switch wifi off then on in the iPhone Settings, or reboot it.” Implied but not stated is that once I switch wifi off/on on the iPhone, or reboot it, I can access network devices and the internet. Before one of those actions there’s no connection - web sites don’t load; connection error messages when trying to access local devices (computers, NAS, etc...)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7