× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 with EX7300

fleetmack
Aspirant

R8000 with EX7300

I have a Nighthawk R8000 with an EX7300 acting as extender. I learned this morning I can upgrade the EX7300 and use it as mesh so I don't have separate networks in my house. Awesome!  Now -- can I use mesh with wired ethernet? I'd like to put the extender out of the range of my router where a Cat6 exists, effectively hard-wiring it to my router -- and then project the same network. Would this work or can the EX7300 only work as a mesh object when it connects via wifi?

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R8000 with EX7300

Hello fleetmack - Absolutely! This would still be considered a mesh network. Give it a try and let us know what you think! 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 4
fleetmack
Aspirant

I have never been able to get this working, I've seemingly tried everything. This article seems to state that to used wired ethernet, I need it in access point mode, which will disable same ssid:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-a...

Every way I've tried this, my wifi breaks if I plug the ethernet cable into the extender. I simply want the ex7300 to support same ssid while getting its signal from an ethernet cable instead of from a wifi signal. Is this possible? Seemingly, no ....

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the EX? 

When setting up the EX for AP mode, do you get the selection to see either AP mode or extender mode during the initial setup? 

If you can set the AP mode during setup, and get to the main web page of the EX, I would input a static IP address ON the EX, 192.168.1.73. Besure yout set your routers IP address pool size to 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then this will give you room on each side to set static IPs ON devices on either side of the default IP address pool. Once the address is set. Reboot and while it's rebooting, connect the LAN cable to the EX from the main host router.

I do this for my EX7700. 192.168.#.77 and I can access it from anywhere in the home. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7