× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Router + EAX80 Extender cannot see extender connected devices

sonnychiba
Aspirant

RAX120 Router + EAX80 Extender cannot see extender connected devices

I have an RAX120 Router and EAX80 Extender. and both appear to be working fine.  However, I noticed that I cannot see  cannot those devices that are connected to the  extender in the list of connected devices on the router.  Is this expected behavior?  

Message 1 of 14
thehypnootoad
Luminary

are you using the nighthawk app to see the extender by any chance?
Message 2 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

Sorry I should have said previously that I am using the wwb interfaces of both the router and extender.  In the web UI of the router,  I don't see the devices that are connectted to the extender vbut I do see them in the extender UI.

Message 3 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

I just posted another questions on the exact same combo, RAX120 and EAX80. For the several hours I experimented with the EAX80 today, I could see the devices connected to the router and the extender under the Nighhawk app. The GUIO was somewhat different experience. With a different extender, the EX8000, using the GUI for the RAX120, you could figure out what is connected to the extender as the extender assigned virtual MAC addresses to the devices connected to it.  In the extender GUI, you could easily see the connected devices as well.  With the EAX80, in the RAX120 GUI, I could not tell what is connected to the extender and what to the router but I could see the union of all devices connected to either the router or the extender. You could see the connhected devices in the extender GUI.

How is the speed when you connect to the EAX80 extender? Mine was significantly worse than expected from a WiFi 6 "mesh" network.

Message 4 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

My speed is good: 353Mbps DOWN / 30Mbp UP but not as fast as the router speed.

Message 5 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

How fast is the router speed?

Message 6 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

Not that I am also using WAN Aggregation in the "WAN Preference" section on the "Internet" Tabl of the router.  Using speedtest from the nighthawk app, 1390Mbps UP / 41Mbps DOWN.

Message 7 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

OK, I get the same thing on the router. The extender is a different story. If I got your speeds, I'd be happy. I just sent the extender back. Probably I it was a defective unit. By the way, do you have WiFi 6 devices connected to the extender?

Message 8 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

Yes I have Wifi 6 devices connected.  So are we supposed to see ALL connected devices in the Router UI (even those connected to the extender)?  All sorts of questions on functionality based on the answer to this.  For example, does port forwarding work for those clients connected to the extender?

Message 9 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

I don’t know if we are supposed to but it is what happens. All devices show up under router UI for attached devices. Perhaps Netgear should think of a way to flag router/extender devices and allow for different functionality. Have you noticed IP conflicts between IP assigned to one of the MAC addresses belonging to the extender and the same IP assigned to a device connected to the extender? I did.
Message 10 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

Just so it's clear, I CANNOT see anything attached to my extender in the Router Webadmin.  That's what I'm asking if it's normal.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

No, it is not normal.
Message 12 of 14
sonnychiba
Aspirant

So any ideas as to how to fix it?  The extender itself shows up in the Router Webadmin just none of the extenders clients.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 14
spartakrex
Aspirant

Latest firmware? Other than that, I do not know. I ended up sending the extender back to Netgear.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7