× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200/EX8000 speed issues

Taylorinnyc
Guide

RAX200/EX8000 speed issues

I have the Rax200 router running off of cm2000 modem with 1200 mbps plan from isp. I added an ex8000 extender for a few devices that I wanted to be able to connect with LAN and a stronger signal on that side of the house. Directly from the router with my MBP I’m always getting at least 950 mbps. iPad on WiFi from the router, usually about 800mbps. If I connect to the extender, the speeds are terrible, less than 100 mbps much of the time either through WiFi or lan but usually about 120mbps. I’m wondering if something is wrong in my setup? Am I extending the wrong 5ghz signal? I tried to switch them but it seemed worse, should I not extend the 2.4ghz? Just guessing obviously. I read that people have great results with these setups so I’m hopeful this can work, I know the speed from the extender won’t be equal but I know it shouldn’t be less than 20%. The firmware version for the Rax200 is V1.0.5.132. The firmware version for the EX8000 is V1.0.1.238. Thanks in advance for all input.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Re: RAX200/EX8000 speed issues

OP edit::::::: I forgot to mention, the extender is about 25 feet from the router with no obstructions between so I don’t believe that’s the issue. Thanks again.
Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

A couple things to try. 

1. factory reset and reinstall the EX8000. during install, uncheck the "extender 2.4ghz network". The 2.4ghz will work but it won't function as a failover for the dedicated backhaul. 

2. Once its setup, hardwire a pc/laptop into the ex8000 and test its hardwired speed. Thats a good way to check its backhaul link to the router. 

3. If the backhaul speed checks out ok, then you want to check if you're testing the speeds over the 2.4ghz network or the 5ghz. The EX8000 does bandsteering and if you're on the 2.4ghz, those speeds are reasonable. You should be able to hit significantly faster over 5ghz. You can disable the bandsteering functions to test that so you can confirm which network you're connected to. 

Message 3 of 11
Taylorinnyc
Guide

So I unchecked the 2.4 network and now the wired speed is about 325 which is an improvement for sure but is that the top end of what I should expect? I was told I could get about 80% of my router speed from the extender by NetGear support. Not sure if that is true? Just now, I’m getting 450 on my iPhone from the extender on 5ghz which is very much improved. So what is my next move? Leave it as is or is that just testing out variables? Thank you so much for getting back to me.
Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

something isn't quite right if the wired speed from the EX8000 is lower than the wireless. 

Have you tried a couple different speedtest sites or devices? 

What does the EX8000 show for its status page?  (take a screen snip)

Message 5 of 11
Taylorinnyc
Guide

I’ve tried a few test sites and there is some flux. My MBP gets up to about 350 wired and my PS5 gets to about 300. My iPad on WiFi from the extender gets almost 500. Am I extending the right 5ghz network of the two? Tried to find advice on that but nothing came up. I currently have it to extend my 2nd 5ghz network. As I’m typing I ran another speed test on MBP from another site and I get 485.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

You're extending the correct one. I'm just a bit surprised at the wireless having faster speeds than the wired connection. 

Not sure exactly whats going on there. The 500mbps is pretty reasonable because if you think about it, the link speed between the MBP and the extender is still only the 866mbps. And thats link speed. throughput (actual speed) tends to be around 55-65% of the link speed. so you're hitting that right around where I'd expect with the MBP. Just not sure why the wired is slower. 

Message 7 of 11
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Should I just leave the 2.4ghz unchecked? I don’t really need to extend that? Do those numbers seem right if I’m getting 1000 mbps wired from the router? My plan is 1200 mbps, and I used to get that speed before I bought the Rax200. I know that modem and router are capable of that speed. it just seems like I’m losing a lot of speed somewhere between the modem and the extender. My isp is coming to double check the signal at the wall Monday but I just think something isn’t right. When I first installed the rax200 I was getting 1400 mbps at the router. I really appreciate all the help, I hate to pay for speed that I don’t get.
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

I was looking back and didn't see where you tested the routers actual speed. Just the extender. 

The RAX is a AX devices while the EX is an AC extender. They RAX will have a lot faster potential speed. 

Message 9 of 11
Taylorinnyc
Guide

I was just wondering if there was something in the chain that was setup incorrectly and causing less speed to begin with. Should I now leave the extender setup the same way if my speed has improved?
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would leave it. 

The devices that connect directly to the RAX won't be restricted because of the EX extender. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7