× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Router Only Provides Internet Connection Through Ethernet Cables But Not Wi-Fi

Carl-C
Guide

RAX80 Router Only Provides Internet Connection Through Ethernet Cables But Not Wi-Fi

This problem just started over Labor Day weekend.  My Netgear modem is hard-wire connected (ethernet cable) to the Netgear RAX80 router.  I also have Netgear EAX15 (AX1800) Wi-Fi extenders in the house.  I *had* both Wi Fi signal, and several ethernet-cable-connected devices working just fine.  Now only the cable-connected devices have internet connectivity.  My mobile devices can connect to the Wi-Fi network, but there is no internet connectivity.  I have rebooted the router once, and rebooted the extenders as well, but the problem persists.  Any ideas on what the problem is, and how to solve?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 Router Only Provides Internet Connection Through Ethernet Cables But Not Wi-Fi

Definitely try with the extenders. 

problem with those extenders is that its only recommended to use 1 extender with the mesh ones. unless you disable the mesh function. 

Reason why is there isn't anything controlling them. and if they're setup in mesh function, they connect to the ssid/password of the router. Problem is, the extenders have the same ssid/password and can end up connected to each other. 

It can sometimes work if they're far enough apart with the router in between but if they're to close, thats when you run into issues. 

Its why I always recommend moving to a full mesh system with router if you're needing more than 1 extender. Then there is sometime controlling the system to prevent that. 

If everything works with the extenders turned off, you can leave one of the extenders in mesh mode (one wifi). disable it on the other 2 and set them with their own unique ssid's. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 Router Only Provides Internet Connection Through Ethernet Cables But Not Wi-Fi

First a question. What modem do you have? 

then lets simplify to see if its the router having issues or the extender. 

So unplug the extender. 

Just go modem--->router and reboot the router. 

Then try your devices and see if they connect/work with just the router. 

What firmware is on the router? 

And the firmware on the extender?

Message 2 of 8
Carl-C
Guide

I have a Netgear cable modem in front of the router - connected together via ethernet cable.  Not sure of the modem model offhand; will have to look.  The router has firmware V1.0.10.140.  Not sure what firmware version is on the extenders (3 of them).  I'll consider the reboot strategy minus the extenders.

The internet signal is clearly there, but only the devices ethernet-wired to the router (desktop PC's, smart TV) can see it.  The mobile devices (iPhones, iPads, smart switches) can connect to the Wi-Fi signal, but no internet connectivity...

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Definitely try with the extenders. 

problem with those extenders is that its only recommended to use 1 extender with the mesh ones. unless you disable the mesh function. 

Reason why is there isn't anything controlling them. and if they're setup in mesh function, they connect to the ssid/password of the router. Problem is, the extenders have the same ssid/password and can end up connected to each other. 

It can sometimes work if they're far enough apart with the router in between but if they're to close, thats when you run into issues. 

Its why I always recommend moving to a full mesh system with router if you're needing more than 1 extender. Then there is sometime controlling the system to prevent that. 

If everything works with the extenders turned off, you can leave one of the extenders in mesh mode (one wifi). disable it on the other 2 and set them with their own unique ssid's. 

Message 4 of 8
Carl-C
Guide

Thanks - I'll give that a try, and report back.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

good luck! Let me know how it goes

Message 6 of 8
Carl-C
Guide

Well, that seems to have worked!  When I got home today, the situation was as reported before.  I powered off two of the three extenders, and now my mobile devices have the internet back!  I noticed that on two of the extenders the "device connected" light was completely off (dark - not even red), so I think that lends evidence perhaps to your suggestion that the extenders may have been connecting to each other.

Now that I know what is going on per your suggestion, I should be able to reconfigure things to work properly.  Thanks!  The installation instructions for the extenders did mention that you could configure them with their own addresses (if not using a mesh captain), but there was no warning about them possibly connecting to each other otherwise.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to see its back up and working. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7