× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK 355 v RBK855 wired backhaul

DaveLeitch
Guide

RBK 355 v RBK855 wired backhaul

Recently I replaced my old Apple system with with a top of the range router , and two range extenders. I'm not happy with the system.

I've finally realised that a mesh system can use ethernet backhaul  and my house is mostly wired for ethernet. The internet connection is 100 MBS.

1. In an entirely ethernet wired system is there any real advantage in using RBK 853 over RBK 355? It seems to me that the RBK 355 should be able to deliver the same peformance at about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost? Am I missing anything important? I do have an increasing number of IOT things (vacuum, doorbell, solar system, air con). In the current system I just connect them to the 2.4 guest network. Hope that remains the case if I switch. Its a lot of work moving all these things work. I also plan to keep the same network names and passwordsd in the switch.

2. I read a netgear  KB article that shows I can cable piggy back one satellite to another (I may need to do this to get to the wife's studio). Is that correct?

3. I have read that if I use some sattelites wired and some wirelessly connected to the router then even if I get a system with a dedicated backhal channel eg RBK 853 that the backhaul channel wont be used. So the wirelessly connected satellite would likely perform poorly. Is this correct?

thanks for any info

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

You might even check out the SXK30 system. Even a bit cheaper than a 5 pack of the RBK355. You could get the 3 pack kit and 2 more satellites and I think still be cheaper. And its the business class version. 

Adds a few features like muliple ssid's, more devices, etc. 

You can use a wired backhaul. I'd strongly encourage that with a dual band system if you have the option. 

The Orbi kits can use both wired/wireless backhaul and use a mix of them. meaning you can have some using the wired backhaul and some using the wireless. 

If you're going to be needing the wireless backhaul for higher throughput devices, I push people to get the triband version as it retains speeds better. 

Especially if you're planning on daisy chaining. 

But costs go up quite a bit going from the dual band mesh systems to the triband. 

Might be cheaper in the long run (and more stable), if you were able to dig in an underground ethernet wire to the studio. Not sure if its detached or just in the house but far enough away. You weren't very clear on that. 

Message 2 of 5
DaveLeitch
Guide

Thanks. That's good advice. The studio is on top of a large  rock. If I cable it, it will be overhead. So I thought I'd try the wireless first.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

How far is the studio away? 

What are the exterior walls of the home and studio made from? 

Exterior walls tend to be pretty good at blocking wifi as they tend to be made from things like brick, concrete, metal siding, cement board, etc. If its made from those, the wifi might not reach or if it does, it might not be usable. Tough to know without more details/seeing it. 

If it is made from something that'll block the wifi, what I usually recommend for those that running a cable isn't feasible is a point to point system like netgear Airbridge. (there's cheaper version from other providers) You use that to connect the 2 and then put a satellite in the studio. The point to point system acts basically as an ethernet connection between the 2 but wireless and can link at quite extreme distances. 

Message 4 of 5
DaveLeitch
Guide

Thanks again for the time. The Airbridge is new to me and possibly a bit much for what's required in my case, but a very interesting product that I am pleased to know about.

I think I have the info I need now.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7