× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Range Etender

theoldfeller
Aspirant

Range Etender

I have a home system running off a BT Smart Hub. I have extended the signal to our garage using a poweline system composed of a BT miniconnector connected to the Smart Hub  and a BT minihub in the garage. This is the system that BT recommended.

The signal in the house is good but the extended signal to the garage is patchy. The garage is 30 metres from the hub and there is no clear line of sight. Which NetGear product should I buy to improve the signal to the garage?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Range Etender

You're currently running powerline out there? 

That's a bit of distances and powerline is sensitive to interference. 

Options that I'd consider? 

1. run an ethernet cable. sometimes burying a cable isn't unreasonable because the cable is fairly cheap for underground rated. 

2. Use a point to point system like netgear airbridge. there's cheaper versions from other companies. 

3. If you've got coax ran out there, you can try a moca adapter (ethernet over coax)

Message 2 of 4
theoldfeller
Aspirant

Thanks. There are trees between the 2 buildings. Would a PTP system like Netgear airbridge cope with that?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Tough to say. 

They do attenuate the signal. And the more there is, the more that is blocked. 

I've never used one so can't attest to how well they penetrate foliage. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7