× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Range Extender or Access Point or Power Line

jcac0220
Aspirant

Range Extender or Access Point or Power Line

I currently have a nighthawk AC1900 router in my basement. I have a deadspot in a room 2 floors above the basement. I trying to get a better signal in that room and cant decide whether a range extender or access point or power line is the best way to go. I have ethernet wired throughout the house, so if I have to I can connect the extender or anything else via cat5.

Any recommendations on which way to set it up?

Any recommendations on device?

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For X6S (EX8000), you can setup same SSID/password. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jcac0220,

With any Range extender that supports Access point mode (with ethernet), you will be able to setup good wifi in your 2nd floor. It's often a good idea to match with your router specs to not lose any additional bandwidth. Since you have a Nighthawk you could get a Nighthawk extender as well in AP mode.

EX7300(Nighthawk X4) and EX6400(Essential Edition) are great wallplugs to use and EX7000(Nighthawk) is a good desktop option. If you are looking for the fastest range extension and continue using the same ssid as router and get good roaming for your devices, you can try EX8000(Nighthawk X6S) which gives you tri-band wifi in access point mode.

Message 2 of 4
jcac0220
Aspirant

Thaks for the info. If I set it up as an Access Point does it reuiqre a separate SSID and password?

Message 3 of 4
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For X6S (EX8000), you can setup same SSID/password. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7