× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Range extender WN3000RPv3 is NOT SECURE

johnmoody
Aspirant

Range extender WN3000RPv3 is NOT SECURE

Wow, I am disappointed in Netgear's support.  

I have a secure network, and I do *not* want to rely on WPS to tell the range extender which wi-fi network to choose. 

I can connect to the PC via the lan cable, or via the wi-fi output of the extender. But the only non-WPS option that Netgear provides is to go to mywifiext.net and let their javascripts do the job for me.

*Is there any way to use the PC to tell the extender which wi-fi network to choose without going online (if you use routers for data)

*What protocol does the PC use to interact with the extender. Is this proprietary to Netgear and we aren't allowed to know it???  

*What on earth does mywifiext.net  do? Is it a big secret how to do this manually or via a local program?

--

A HUGE danger is, at any moment, Netgear could say "Oh, we've decided to charge you a fee everytime you want to set up your network, just enter your paypal address at mywifiext.net "

A BIGGER danger is, since we have no control over whatever mywifiext.net is doing, we actually do not have a secure network when using this junk.

==

I went through the process of sending a support ticket, and getting on the phone after wating all day, only to have the support rep read me the instructions down the phone. 

Huge significant complaint here.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
johnmoody
Aspirant

Re: Range extender WN3000RPv3 is NOT SECURE

(Actually, it just occurred to me that mywifiext.net  might be a page that is served by the extender locally.  That would be totally OK)

Message 2 of 3
johnmoody
Aspirant

Re: Range extender WN3000RPv3 is NOT SECURE

Actually, I now see that my post is wrong: the website www.mywifiext.net  is actually a proxy for 192.168.1.250 which is the IP of the device itself. In other words, the website is indeed served by the local device.  My mistake!!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7