× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RangeExtender WN3000RP:SSID(s)/ Network Name(s)

wiredtired
Novice

RangeExtender WN3000RP:SSID(s)/ Network Name(s)

Seeking an informed opinion re:
Pros & cons of using Setup Option 1 (on MacBookPro with Modem/Router Surfboard 6580) as opposed to Setup Option 2 (which is what I just opted to use)
To put it more succinctly - what are the disadvantages (if any) of having just 1 Network SSID (what I was able to end up with only by using setup option 2).
Pragmatically - what is the disadvantage (if any) of having only 1 Network SSID - as opposed to the additional ****_EXT network that one ends up with when installing/configuring with Option 1.
The reasoning behind installing with Option 2 (and thereby not having the additional **** _EXT network is that I followed this advice:
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Universal-WN3000RP-Wi-Fi-Extender/product-reviews/B004YAYM06/ref=dp_db... (see first comment by "Brian" 26 October 2012)

I'd appreciate your feedback........
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: RangeExtender WN3000RP:SSID(s)/ Network Name(s)

If you want seamless network use SSID otherwise you can have your own preference to have two different SSID
Message 2 of 7
wiredtired
Novice

"If you want seamless network use SSID otherwise you can have your own preference to have two different SSID "

So just to be clear - are you advising doing just as I did and configuring by using Option 2 (since Option 1 - which connects with WPS - automatically creates a 2nd SSID).
Are you saying that having just 1 SSID is preferable?

BTW:Thanks so much for your always helpful input (I've read thru many threads about this particular extender and find your advice to be really meaningful and informed!)
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPS is method of connecting to existing wireless

SSID is wireless network name.
You choice to make is if you seamless networks uses same SSID do default _ext or simply want two different zone then use SSID

This personal preference and thee is right or wrong which way you go
Message 4 of 7
wiredtired
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
You choice to make is if you seamless networks uses same SSID do default _ext or simply want two different zone then use SSID

Thanks once again June.....yes I had already understood the difference between WPS and SSI
The proplem was that when I tried to configure using WPS - there was no way I could proactively manage to not end up with TWO different SSIDs (network names) - One with just my initials and the 2nd with those same initials followed by _EXT)
And attempting to heed the advice in the link I included in my first post (see above) - I thought it was better to just have only 1 SSID.
And you seem to be confirming that.

FYI - I believe it's Netgear who attempt to force one to have 2 SSIDs - because even after I decided to configure using "Option2" in their installation manual, (which involves connecting ones computer to the extender with an ethernet cable and then going to a special Netgear installation website) - I still received a dire warning when I configured to set up the Extender to use my existing SSID without the _EXT.

I'm really writing this long winded explanation in case anyone else wishes to have just ONE network SSID:
If you do - then do your installation using Netgears Installation Manual "Option2" - and ignore their pop-up warnings which advise against doing so. :rolleyes:
Message 5 of 7
wiredtired
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:

Thanks once again June.....yes I had already understood the difference between WPS and SSI
The proplem was that when I tried to configure using WPS - there was no way I could proactively manage to not end up with TWO different SSIDs (network names) - One with just my initials and the 2nd with those same initials followed by _EXT)
And attempting to heed the advice in the link I included in my first post (see above) - I thought it was better to just have only 1 SSID.

BTW - I believe it's Netgear who attempt to force one to have 2 SSIDs - because even after I decided to configure using "Option2" in their installation manual, (which involves connecting ones computer to the extender with an ethernet cable and then going to a special Netgear installation website) - I still received a dire warning when I configured to set up the Extender to use my existing SSID without the _EXT.

I'm really writing this long winded explanation in case anyone else wishes to have just ONE network SSID:
If you do - then do your installation using Netgears Installation Manual "Option2" - and ignore their pop-up warnings which advise against doing so. :rolleyes:
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You do NOT have to use WPS

Download manual at support.netgear.com

You will find how to connect existing network with WPA, WPA2 encryption you have

Also you should able to change your SSID as you wish

thought it was better to just have only 1 SSID.

It is PERSONAL PREFERENCE".

I still received a dire warning when I configured to set up the Extender to use my existing SSID without the _EXT.

There is plenty of discussion and tons of people are using SAME SSID as "PERSONAL PREFERENCE" to make seamless
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7