× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbr40/20/20 - hardwired satellites don’t show on network map

jbhworth
Tutor

Rbr40/20/20 - hardwired satellites don’t show on network map

RBR40 / 20 / 20 with backhaul being hard wired. Appears all is working but satellites don’t show on network map in Orbi app. I cant tell what devices are connected to which satellite. Is this proper behavior for Ethernet backhaul?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you log into the satellites (using their ip address) there is an option to view connected devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How do you have it wired? 

what I mean is your specific setup with wiring. 

Mine when I set it up goes:

CM2000--->RAXE500----RBR50----->switch----->satellites

I've seen some put the switch before the orbi router with satellites connected to it or have the routers wan port connected to the switch and the satellite connected to the switch. 

so how is your actual network wired/setup?

Message 2 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Thx for the reply.

Modem - rbs40 - 20’s plugged into 40. Have Netgear GS308t hanging off the 40 as well. Better if 20’s are on the switch? It’s managed and thought I had read orbi satellites don’t like managed (although I can’t imagine why).

Everything cabled with cat8. All wireless is full speed. Performance is great. Just don’t see the satellites on the network map.

It worked upon first setting up and everything has been bounced. Thoughts?
Message 3 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Sorry. RBR40.
Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have? 

The satellites are directly wired to the router? 

Message 5 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Arris SB8200 -- orbi RBR40

Yes, Sattelites are plugged in to the router.

Curious what you guys have experienced.  If I have an orbi system, what does the modem do to the orbi system?  I'm not trying to connect remotely.  I'm not having problems outbound.  My Satellites are working well, just don't show up in the app map on my iphone, or browser connected directly to the Orbi router, connected to the orbi hosted wifi in my home.  These questions are making me wonder what I'm missing as it seems to be relevant.

I'm guess I'm curious what you guys recommend.  Satellites directly in to the Orbi Router or Satellites plugged in to the Netgear managed switch which is plugged in to the Orbi Router.  Seems like a directly connected Satellite would be best, no?

Thx for the responses...sorry for the delayed replies...busy week.

Message 6 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Hey Plemans - thanks again for answering.  In your first reply, you say people go from the cable modem to the switch then to the router but the satellites are in the switch?  A bad design or one I hadn't considered?  I would never think to do that.  Router is the security barrier for everything else.  🙂

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

no. you don't want the switch before the router with your setup. 

modem---->router---->switch/satellites

Message 8 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Great Thanks!

So operationally, I'm good but can't see what devices are connected to each satellite.  Any thoughts on why this may be?  Also, I'm wondering if my devices are in fact connecting to satellites.  Any thoughts?  Maybe they aren't working after all.  I can't tell.  Everything cycled.  Suggestions?

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you log into the satellites (using their ip address) there is an option to view connected devices. 

Message 10 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Thank you for the reminder.  Devices connected to Satellites.  All is operational, satellites don't show in network map in app.  Odd but I'll keep playing.  Open to any suggestions.  If none, appreciate the help thus farr!

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

Is it only on the app or does it appear that way in the browser as well?

Message 12 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

Through the browser, I see the satellites as wired.  See all connected devices...in short, normal as expected.

In app, no satellites.  In the connected devices on the router, no satellites under hardwired but I see my switch and NAS.  haven't tried to delete the app and reinstall, will try that.  Guess it must just be an app glitch.  What has thrown me is that it happened very shortly after taking my satellites hardwired.

Message 13 of 14
jbhworth
Tutor

reinstalled and same thing.  Interestingly enough, my ipad now shows as hardwired on my router.  It isn't.  I don't have an RJ45-2-Lightning adapter so this is really odd.  The important thing is that it is all working and working well!  Many thanks for all the assistance!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7