× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Really an extender?

drmdzh
Aspirant

Really an extender?

I have an N300 range extender and I set it up and all wroking fine. I am using it to extend the range of my network into my home office. The problem is, I realized it's not doing what I thought it would do, unless I ma msitaken. I thought it would extand the range of my currently existing network, but it seems to create it's own local network. So in order to use the wifi in my office through the extender, I have to sign into it's _EXT network. And then when I go back to the other part of my house, to get a good signal, I have to sign in to the original network. Correct? That doesn't seem like an extender to me, but rather a new network, using the same connection. Or am I missing something. I don't want to have to tell my phone, laptop etc which network to choose just because I walked to another part of the house, that seems ridiculous. Thanks, I hope I am mistaken.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Really an extender?

Look at the Wi-Fi settings on your router to find out what Wi-Fi channel it is using.  Do the same with your extender.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Yes, what you observed is the default behavior.  If your particular model permits it, you can rename the _EXT network and give it the same name as your main network.  Just make sure that the range extender is using a different Wi-Fi channel.  This should already be the case, but I just want to make sure in case you think it has to be same.

Message 2 of 4
drmdzh
Aspirant

Interesting, thank you. Where do I find out what wifi channels they are on?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Look at the Wi-Fi settings on your router to find out what Wi-Fi channel it is using.  Do the same with your extender.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7