× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Received email from security@e.netgear.com - called the phone number given in a chat

Worried
Aspirant

Received email from security@e.netgear.com - called the phone number given in a chat

I received an email from security@e.netgear.com about needing to update security on my range extender. I clicked on the link and for some reason could not log into my account, which doesn't make sense. So I started a chat and they asked if someone could call me to help. Well someone called and asked if they could take control of my computer to help me with the steps to update the security of my range extender. He took control of my computer, never updated the extender and then tried to sell me security packages. Was I scammed? Is all of the info on my computer at risk?

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Received email from security@e.netgear.com - called the phone number given in a chat

Hello, 

Please ensure that you're using the link below to get in contact with our Support Team. May you provide us with the model number of your extender and the current firmware version it's on. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Worried wrote:

I received an email from security@e.netgear.com about needing to update security on my range extender. I clicked on the link and for some reason could not log into my account, which doesn't make sense.

This is correct and coming from Netgear. Be aware that email sender addresses can be spoofeed, too. Where does the link lead your browser to exactly?

The account for Netgear support is the same you use here to access the community, follow the link @Christian_R  provided above.

@Worried wrote:

So I started a chat and they asked if someone could call me to help. Well someone called and asked if they could take control of my computer to help me with the steps to update the security of my range extender. He took control of my computer, never updated the extender and then tried to sell me security packages. Was I scammed? Is all of the info on my computer at risk?

Definitively not Netgear support style. Where ever you discovered this fake/scam support, yes, definitely scammed. Well possible, your computer and the data might be at risk - or security and there updates from Microsoft, Apple, and 3rd party Internet security software might be blocked or redirected.

Message 3 of 4
Worried
Aspirant

If I click on the same link now, it takes me to http://click.e.netgear.com/expired.html, and the page says, "This link has expired. Please contact the sender of the email for more information."

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7