× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommend - wifi extender

Mlm1300
Tutor

Recommend - wifi extender

I am using a Nighthawk® X6S Tri-Band WiFi Router.  I want a wifi extender that is compatible and can be used to help boost a signal to a security camera located on a storage building a 150 ft away from my house. I've got a signal now, but it is weak during windy, rainy times.

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Something to keep in mind with single/dual band extender is that they drop throughput (speed) 50% because they have to send/recieve from router--->extender   and then extender----->device  using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. 

so if you're hitting 47/22 you'll potentially end up with roughly 24/11 at the camera. A little less because of distance going from pole--->camera. 

Which is better than you have and could potentially allow it to stream decently. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

150ft is quite a ways away over wireless. Is your router already as close to the security camera as possible? 

Are you planning on putting the extender halfway? 

Because the extender still needs a decent signal to run off unless you plan on connecting it with an ethernet connection. 

Message 2 of 8
Mlm1300
Tutor

The router is as close as it will be to the camera.  The extender will be placed about 50 ft from the camera. I have power at the 100 ft mark.  Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

It "might" reach. 

Does you phone get decent signal (usable speeds) at the location you plan on putting the extender?

that'd be an easy check to see if the extender will. 

Message 4 of 8
Mlm1300
Tutor

I get about 3 bars at the outlet and 2 at the security camera.  Only time I lose the camera is in bad weather. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Then its feasible to try.

What speeds do you actually reach at the pole with you phone? 

That's key as you might have bars but not have it usable for video. 

Message 6 of 8
Mlm1300
Tutor

At the outlet I have 47.47 mpbs down and 22.6 upload. At the camera I have 1.56 down and 3.94 upload. It is windy outside today.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Something to keep in mind with single/dual band extender is that they drop throughput (speed) 50% because they have to send/recieve from router--->extender   and then extender----->device  using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. 

so if you're hitting 47/22 you'll potentially end up with roughly 24/11 at the camera. A little less because of distance going from pole--->camera. 

Which is better than you have and could potentially allow it to stream decently. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7